Author Topic: Heavy Aluminum or Silverplate Table Top Candelabra  (Read 1959 times)

agreeneyes

Heavy Aluminum or Silverplate Table Top Candelabra
« on: March 25, 2012, 10:28:51 am »
This was an estate find I believe this is older but I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking the experts.  This is a beautiful piece with a heavy scalloped and scroll design with a dark purple velvet textured material on the bottom. I believe this is either solid aluminum or silverplated.  It's heavy for it's size it weighs approximately 5 lbs and it shines up easily with a soft cloth.  Would this be considered an art deco style?  It's approximately 10 inches tall and 14 inches wide.  I'd like to know the age of this and what the value of this style of candelabra would be.  Similar ones I've found are being dated around the 1950's and are being described as silverplated.  This is a very decorative piece, thank you in advance for any help
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:05:23 am by agreeneyes »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Heavy Aluminum or Silverplate Table Top Candelabra
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:22:09 pm »
If you are asking for a style it would be more Nouveau than Deco !! That was a period when everything went curvy,,lots of female form and organic shapes !!  Deco was ,more geometric straight lines !! That being said however,, items like this were made during all periods and not necessarily according to the furniture styles popular !! These were decorative pieces and were made in any number of forms from the Victorian period through late 1900`s !!  Yours is very nice and is probably weighted to keep from tipping over !!  Otherwise they were not very stable !!  Wouls be hard to date without knowing a maker but into the 50`s some did use string tags with a paper label on bottom that likely was removed !!  I would look closely for a maker on the bottom of the bobeche and any other place that would be more or less hidden !! It is probably plate but you never know !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:57:10 pm »
I don't see anything on the bottom or any other place on the outside with a maker.  The center piece does unscrew and then the outside pieces lift off so there could be something on the inside.  I didn't want to disturb the bottom velvet like felt cover for fear of ruining the piece.  Any idea on a value of something like this,  I appreciate the information on what style this would be referred to  and  thank you for all of your help

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 08:14:02 pm »
Hard to say about value without knowing for certain,, but I am pretty certain its plate if you can`t find a maker somewhere on it !! Let me do some checking around and get back to you tomorrow on approx. value !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 07:06:42 am »
What's interesting is this doesn't seem to tarnish like most silverplate I've seen.  It shines up very easily with just a soft cloth with out any effort or hard rubbing, could this possibly be aluminum? I appreciate all of your effort and any information you can give, thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:08:35 am »
I guess anything is possible but it looks quite well made to be inexpensive aluminum !! White metal doesn`t fit either !!

mart

• View Profile

agreeneyes

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »
It looks identical who is the maker Mikasa and does the maker date this?, thank you much

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »
Mikasa is the maker and they are pretty well known for table items !! I have a set of their stoneware !!  Reason yours is not tarnishing is likely because it has a very fine clear coat !!  Keeps it bright and shiny,, just wipe off fingerprints !!  Guessing date,, 80`s ???

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:32:05 am »
Beat me to it Mart.  They made silver plate with a clear coat on them so that it wont tarnish as fast.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:04 am »
Yep !! In the 80`s and 90`s they used that a lot on brass and silverplate !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:22:05 am »
Great information do you also have any idea on value, thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 07:37:47 am »
The one I gave you the link to had one bid ($19.95) with a day and a half to go.  Value I would expect from this candelabra would be around $30. to $40. !!  But as with all auctions,, its a crap shoot !!  Go to the listing I gave you and click on "watch this item" for final selling price !!

agreeneyes

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 08:16:23 pm »
thank you