Author Topic: Clay Pots - any ideas on their origins?  (Read 2207 times)

ChristopherC

• View Profile
Clay Pots - any ideas on their origins?
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:02:49 am »

I've been trying to identify the origins of these clay pots for years now without much luck.   I can't find anything online that resembles them.   I have four of these that have been in my family for almost 100 years.   I have no idea how old the pots are themselves.  They are very heavy, about 20" wide x 14" high.   No markings of any kind.   My family has lived in Southern California for several generations so I'm assuming they come from this area but not sure.  For all I know, my grandparents bought these at a gallery that had items from Italy or elsewhere.    I do remember my grandmother telling me in the 1960's that this pottery had some value and to keep them safe.    

If anyone has any ideas on what they are or who to ask, I'd appreciate it.  

-Christopher
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:37:09 pm by ChristopherC »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Clay Pots - any ideas on their origins?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:23:42 pm »
Is that a hole I see in the center pic bottom Or just a spot on the pic ??

ChristopherC

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:46:54 pm »
Yes, that is a hole but I don't know if it was put there when the pot was made or added later.   Not sure if the others have that or not as they are all in-storage.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »
Can you take a pic of the outside bottom showing the hole ?? Try to get close without blurring the pic and maybe we can tell if it was done when the pot was made or added later !!  I really see nothing unusual about the pot and without it being marked it would be difficult to tell where it is from !!  And remember,, back in the sixties ( I remember that decade well ) $10. was a lot of money !! So value then and value now might not be what you expect !!

ChristopherC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 06:43:46 pm »
The clay pots were acquired in the 1920's by my grandparents.  They were quite wealthy and lived in a large Beverly Hills home.   1929 came along and...you know the rest of the story.    Unfortunately, most of their money was gone by the time I arrived on the scene.   But, they still had lots of fine possessions of very good taste from that earlier period in their lives.   Their home was of Spanish Colonial architectural style and they told me these pots were on the front entry.  

The pots are all packed away in storage in another city and not easily accessible so I can't get any photos other than these few that I took before they were packed up.    

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:47:35 pm by ChristopherC »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:00:36 pm »
I tried searching images using antique italian terra cotta pot, but nothing like this came up. Then using terracotta and this came into view. Unfortunately it's been removed from the antiques website so no info. The second pic is a makers mark but I don't know if it's from the same pot.........just grabbed the pics as I found them.

Some items from the Italian Terracotta Co., Los Angeles can be found on this page of the website that originally featured this pot.
You'll notice some ca. 1920's  -  1950/70's dates.

Oops, forgot the link  ;D

http://wellstile.com/catalog/tag/italian-terra-cotta/

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:03:47 pm by sapphire »

ChristopherC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:58 pm »
Sapphire,  That looks like a good find!   Very similar to what I have though mine looks a bit more rustic.   I'll research Italian Terracotta Company and see what else I can find out.   Thanks very much for the lead. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:40:03 am »
Sure looks like the same pot !! So Sapphire,, that stamp says they were made in Los Angeles ??

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:43:42 pm »
Sure looks like the same pot !! So Sapphire,, that stamp says they were made in Los Angeles ??

mart, that was just another picture that came up beside the one of the pot when I was doing a search.....same site, also no long found on it.  Don't know if it's from that same pot though.......but the page on the website that you end up on has other items by that company