Author Topic: Antique Mirror  (Read 1852 times)

jmyers10

• View Profile
Antique Mirror
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »
I have a large antique mirror that I need help learning about. The frame needs repaired but the glass is not chipped or cracked. It is a very large mirror (over 6 ft tall and 4 ft wide). I am told the glass is a very old lead glass (this is extremely heavy). I want to sell it but need some help to find out what to ask for it. Please, I am not an antique professional at all and need your help. I have many pictures. I was told the mirror was possibly made in late 1700's or early 1800's. It has a label someone put on it showing it was once owned by someone named Mary in Kingsland and is 1 of a pair.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:04:33 pm by jmyers10 »

mart

• View Profile
Re: Antique Mirror
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:16:59 pm »
We will try to help if we can !! Can you post pics of front and back as well as the label !! One close up of a back corner would also be good !!  But keep in mind that glass itself can not normally be traced to any maker in particular and unless marked,, same for the frame,, so what we need to look at is the whole package,, mirror and frame !! Hopefully we can try to date it by the style !!

jmyers10

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:13:59 pm »
Mart,

Thank you for your help. I have added some pics here. There is no label by the maker on the mirror that I can find. I believe the wood on the backing may have been replaced a long time ago. The frrame appears to be plaster and has many cracked and broken pieces from it. I have most if not all broken pieces from the frame.

jmyers10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
More pics including the back and lower corners

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
How did you get this mirror ?? Is it a family piece or did you buy it ??  From what I can see it is going to require quite a bit of restoration !!  It does not look like gold leaf or gilt but does look like someone spray painted it at one time. Perhaps when the back was replaced ??

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:56:34 pm »
jm, what makes you think the back was replaced?

That looks original to me, not something that was replaced.

With a mirror that size I can't think of a reason one would want to replace it.

Even if it is 1 of a pair and the glass got broken by being struck with an object, the back could have been removed and then reinstalled.

If that mirror had fallen off the wall to break the glass, the lower part of the frame would have been crushed to smithereens.

jm, you need to find out who that "Mary in Kingsland" was for its provenance (its origin/history) because that might make a really big difference in its selling value.

Save those pieces and don't try to repair it until you find out more about it.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:43:31 pm »
Good advice cogar.

Looks French in style!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:26 pm »
Beautiful mirror! What will help most with dating will be good bright clear pictures of the back and any metal hardware that you see. Those screws look like they have off-center slots which would make the mirror quite old, probably before 1850. It would be great if you could take a couple more clear pictures of the back and any screws or nails. Awesome mirror! I agree that it looks French.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:09:31 am by hosman321 »