Author Topic: 1950's Glass Globe Lamps  (Read 1180 times)

LMSRoxie

• View Profile
1950's Glass Globe Lamps
« on: April 07, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »
Hi all.

We've been cleaning out my grandmother's house to put things into storage and came across two lamps that she says are very valuable; for all we know, they could be.  She purchased them around the 1950's and somewhere in Ohio.  I've looked them over and cannot find a brand, name, symbol, etc. that could let me search for myself, so I'm turning to here in case someone recognizes them.  They were originally oil but were retrofitted for electricity at some point.

Included are pictures.  The white lamp base is roughly 18" tall and the pink lamp base is roughly 19" tall, from the base to the top of the socket.  Both come with the glass chimneys as well.  On the dials which I am assuming controlled the oil both says Made in America;  on the white lamp it also reads PAT APD. FOR, as far as I can tell.  The white lamp's globe was not the original, also, it broke and she had to replace it later on.

Anything anyone can tell us about the lamps would be nice.  My grandmother let her house get into a bad state of disrepair while she's been hospitalized, so we've been fixing and cleaning the furniture and haven't gotten to cleaning up the lamps yet.

Thanks!

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: 1950's Glass Globe Lamps
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 03:41:43 pm »
Age wise; the 1890's era covers most of the "Gone With The Wind" style lamps such as these. (Prior to the book of the same name, most people referred to these as "parlor lamps".) Several manufacturers produced similar models; with Bradley & Hubbard being one of the major firms from the period. Usually, the identifying markings would have been on the flame spreader that was removed during the conversion to electricity.

There are still collectors for nice old lamps with original matching shades. Most of them will sell in the low hundreds.

mart

• View Profile
Re: 1950's Glass Globe Lamps
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »
Hopefully your Grandmother kept the original parts as it will add to value !! I would say the pink one would bring a bit more than that estimate or at least it would in my area and because it still has the globe !!  Maybe $200. or slightly more !!  Great you are doing that for your grandmother !!