Author Topic: Are These Old Glass Evil Eye or Trade Beads?  (Read 1843 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Are These Old Glass Evil Eye or Trade Beads?
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:01:17 pm »
I purchased this Copper / Tin Lined & Coated Trinket Box at the thrift store today and it had these old glass beads in it that came with it. I've searched around for beads like these and can't find any. I think they might be Evil Eye Beads or *maybe* Trade Beads. For all I really know they could have came out of a gum ball machine last week.

Anyways, They are made of glass and are of multiple colors and layers. The smallest bead is about 1/4 of an inch in Width and the Largest is about 3/4 of an Inch in Width.

Does anyone know anything about these beads or have any idea as to where they may have originated, who made them, how old they might be or the value?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="717" height="1593" border="0

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Are These Old Glass Evil Eye or Trade Beads?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 01:13:45 pm »
The glass looks old, lots of roughness from banging around over the years, and definitely hand made, so I don't think they came out of a gum machine last week.  ;)  Love the box they came in by the way, that too looks good from what I can see with uneven wear on the high points and it definitely looks handmade. But determining the origin may be tough. I'm guessing there are no maker's marks on the bottom of the box?
Antiqueaholic in recovery

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:00:33 pm »
talesofthesevenseas, there are no maker's marks on the bottom of the box or anywhere else on it. Although, there are 9 small holes punched into the bottom of the box going around the circumference of the box's rim (about a 1/4 just inside of the bottom's rim). Not sure why those are there, perhaps to just to let the box get air or drain.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:26:43 pm »
Iffen I was a betting person !! I would bet from the graduated sizes and colors, that you have someones broken necklace !!  Broke the latch, beads went everywhere, picked up and stored in the box till could be restrung !!  Another thing I would bet on is,,necklace was made in Italy !! 

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 06:52:58 pm »
mart, I started to bet that was the case too, *but* then I noticed the different hole sizes in the beads so I started to think that may not be the case. I tend to agree with perhaps Italy, maybe early 1900's or maybe even mid to late 1800's. Just a thought or guess though...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:26:31 pm »
Couldn`t see all the hole sizes !! Bead making is a popular hobby even today !! It doesn`t take much equipment to do !! Personally,, I wouldn`t bet on them being older than 70`s !!  Modern look wasn`t around much before that !! I will look around tomorrow and see what I can find !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »
A while back ago I bought antique Italian beads. After reading this I got them out. The holes are all different, but much finer. I'm not sure how old your beads are. The ones I purchased were Wedding Cakes beads. I purchased them loose. I was going to make something out of them, lol They are still in the bag. Your beads are crude. Easily made. I could copy them in sculpy clay. Trading beads I thought were a little bit bigger, but they do look similar.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:58 pm »
greenacres, thanks for the reply. Never heard of wedding Cakes Beads, I'm guessing they are not edible :). Yes, these beads are very crude, thought they might be ethiopia Evil Eye beads but can't find another one like them.