Author Topic: Wooden Fuse Holder Box  (Read 1604 times)

jegraham

• View Profile
Wooden Fuse Holder Box
« on: April 16, 2012, 08:52:00 am »
I have been researching this item and have yet to find any information on what it is or what is was used for.  It looks to be some sort of portable fuse box holder.  I can make out some of the words on it but not all, I can see "______ elevator & electric" and "electrical contractor" but not much else.  There are hinged doors on each side that hold 4 fuses each and a top bracket that looks like a cable or wire would be fed into it.  Any information would be greatly appreciated, I have not clue what to call it, how rare it is or how valuable.  Thanks

mart

• View Profile
Re: Wooden Fuse Holder Box
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:20 pm »
I didn`t find anything like it either,,will look more later !! I am guessing that it is maybe a temporary fuse box to be used while working on the main fuse box !! Does it have a switch on it anywhere to disconnect power ??

jegraham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 03:19:22 pm »
No, I do not see any switches.  Thanks!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 03:34:48 am »
The way it is constructed: thick side walls, protective metal plate on inside of door, only one cable clamp at top and 8 fuse holders; ….. makes me think it is a “quality control” test box for a fuse manufacturing company.

Like random samples from a “production run” would be placed in the box and then the electricity would be turned on from a master switch with the applied voltage being consistent to the fuse’s “rating”. Then the voltage would be increased to make sure the fuse “blew” like it was supposed to. If it did then that “batch” of fuses from off the production run was “good to go”, be shipped to the distributors or wholesalers.

If any fuse “failed” the test then the entire production “batch” would be trashed.

Just my guess. 

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 08:13:41 am »
Very possible !!  Didn`t think about the manufacturing aspect !!  I was looking for something specific for elevators since that is whats on the front !! But the lettering is pretty crude and it could have been repurposed after the mfr. was finished with it !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »
I would think the fuses for elevators would be in an electrical panel box.

Something like that could have been used by "travelling circuses" for their lighting. Its built for rough treatment of being "banged around".

HA, tell people .... "it might have been used in Buffalo Bill's Travelling Rodeo".  ;D ;D ;D