Author Topic: Vintage Hand Made Low Ladder-Back Cattail-Leaf-Rush-Seat Childs Rocking Chair  (Read 2105 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
I purchased this Vintage Hand Made Low Ladder-Back Cattail-Leaf-Rush-Seat Child's Rocking Chair about a month ago from the thrift store and can't find another one like it and was hoping someone could narrow down the time period it was made and the maker. It's my belief the rocking chair is early 1900's or possibly late 1800's but I'm no furniture expert and I'm not sure and it certainly could be 1940's.

I normally would not have purchase a rocking chair for multiple reasons but this one caught my eye because of the master carpentry craftsmanship and fantastic lines the chair has. I'm not sure what type of wood the chair is made out of and I think the seat is a Cattail Leaf Rush Seat but it could be Paper Fibre Rush Seat.

This rocking chair is extremely well made (in my opinion) and represents a piece of art history. The rocking chair is hand made with hand tooled wood plane marks under the arms. The legs I think are lathe turned and the ladder back has wonderful curves in it. The rocking chair is about 2 Feet Tall, about 16 Inches Wide, 13 1/2 Inches in Depth on the seat and the rocking chair feet are about 22 Inches in Length.

I don't think the Cattail Leaf Rush Seat is original to the rocking chair along with some very minor restoration additives like a small nail or pin hole in the arms to fasten it to the legs for additional strength and a couple small nails to secure the Cattail Leaf Rush Seat to the rocking chair's seat frame. I'm not sure if the finish is original to the rocking chair or not.

What I would like to know is the age or vintage of the chair, who may have made it, what kind of wood it is made from, is the seat Cattail Leaf Rush or Paper Fibre Rush, and perhaps a ball park value (I think it's in the range of $150 to $250 but could be way off on this)?

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="714" height="2333" border="0

mart

• View Profile
From the style of the arms, late 20`s or 30`s, seat appears original rush, doesn`t look like paper type !! Those marks you see under the arms can also be made by band saw !! Those marks happen when you hit across the grain rather than along the grain !!  Back then more attention was paid to what was seen rather than what was not !!  Very nice chair though and very well made !!  Price would be in the $150. range !! Many doll collectors like them to show off their collection !!

KevinM

• View Profile
Thanks mart for the info! You're right about the marks under the arms now that I think about it. I use to use a band saw in wood shop and now remember that the cross grain wood cut marks would look like that. You're right about the doll collectors also, a lady asked me when I got it if there was another one like it so she could use it for her dolls.

mart

• View Profile
LOL !!  Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occassionally !!