Author Topic: Gold? Rings help  (Read 2134 times)

ow9654

• View Profile
Gold? Rings help
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »
Hello all,
I recently bought a cigar box with some stuff in it, these two are the sort of confusing ones.
I`m looking to know a rough age of the older one and whether or not the plain one is gold (looks like an eastern hallmark but poorly put on the ring)
Or would I just be better to saw the plain one in half and sell it as a gold one if proven?
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Gold? Rings help
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:57:31 pm »
I can't see the hallmarks well enough to make heads or tails of them, but if I were you, I'd look at them with a loupe or other magnification device to try to see them, then if that doesn't work I would take them to a pawn shop and tell them that you want to know if these are gold or something else.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:44:53 pm »
If you use lemon juice on a rag and they come clean then they are brass.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

ow9654

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:15:54 am »
Ok sorry if the hallmarks are way too small, from left to right theres a C, looks like a star then,next one is unreadeable and last is a W. I can`t see this sort on any British hallmark databases and having difficulty searching foreign ones.
I`ll try the lemon juice on a rag too, but I have done a scratch test on them and it says gold but it could be plated, so I`m relying on the hallmark or else just saw it in half.

The other one theres no hallmarks but scratches for gold, I`m really looking for an age for that one.

Thank you
-ow

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:52:38 am »
Sawing in half wouldn`t help !! Gold is too soft to be used in a pure state !! Most all are plated with base metal you just need to know the thickness of the plating and its purity !!

ow9654

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:26:38 am »
The plain ring is definitely gold!

The other ring I wont be damaging as it looks to be very old, if you can help me with this one please do!
Thank you

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
My opinion on this ring is,, very thin layer of gold ? plating most of which has worn off !!  Gold does not tarnish,, you can dig a gold coin out of the ground after many years and it will still shine bright,, like gold !!!  Not good workmanship so would not indicate anything of importance !!