Author Topic: Large Vintage Hand Made Ceramic Vase?  (Read 1221 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Large Vintage Hand Made Ceramic Vase?
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:07 am »
I purchased this vintage hand made ceramic vase from the thrift store yesterday and am trying unsuccessfully to figure out the name on it. I thought it might be Evan Dala or something like that but internet searches have come up empty. I thought I could figure this one out easily but it never seems to be that way.

The vase is hand made of clay I think and is about 9 inches tall, 10 inches wide, 3 1/4 inches wide at the base and the top rim is about 2 1/2 inches wide.

If anyone knows I would like to know what type of vase this is called and perhaps how it was made. Also, I would like to know the artist name if you can make it out or know.

Thanks!
Kevin

" width="689" height="1783" border="0

wendy177

• View Profile
Re: Large Vintage Hand Made Ceramic Vase?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 11:13:36 am »
Your piece was made by Tony Evans and is called Raku  RAKU is an ancient method of firing pottery it was developed by Chojiro, a village potter from Japan, during the 16th century.  Tony Evans developed his own unique style of firing Raku.  The pieces were fired at the Evans Ceramics Studio in Northern California. Beautiful piece and good eye I would value this piece at around $200.00  ;)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 05:13:56 pm »
Now thats a good find !!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:09:26 pm »
Wow wendy177 you nailed that one! Thanks for the information on the vase, I really appreciate that! Not only did you have the artist name but the history, type, location, etc...!!!

So on the bottom of the vase it has "Evans Raku 63" and not the first and last name. I would have never figured Raku out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 08:44:54 am »
Raku is very interesting in the way its created !! Pottery is fired in the kiln and while still hot is removed and placed in a metal container that can be enclosed with a lid, inside the container may have newspaper, wood shavings ect, that will immediately combust when the hot pottery is placed inside, then the lid is put on and it stays till cool !! That is what creates the irridescence you see on the surface of your pot !!  Would like to find something like that here,, but I ain`t looking to do that !! It can be pretty pricey stuff !!  Great find !!