Author Topic: Tibetan Prayer Wheel?  (Read 2107 times)

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
Tibetan Prayer Wheel?
« on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:37 pm »
I have a little eBay consignment business. One of my clients if an original Mouseketeer from the second season back in the 1950s. She's a really sweet lady and has an awesome collection of Disney memorabilia from over the years. I've been working with her for a couple of months now, and the vast majority has been Disney items or pieces relating to her work in the entertainment business. Except for this...

Apparently it's a Tibetan prayer wheel. It was a gift to her from a friend and she knows as little about it as I do. I'm assuming that it came out of the tourist trade, but I am quite ignorant of that culture. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Tibetan Prayer Wheel?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:03:14 am »
Haven't seen one like this before.

Usually the prayer wheels have a hollow section that "prayer slips" are put inside.  So, you might know more about the original owner, etc....by having the prayer slip interpreted.  Or, it may be instructions.

Also, not sure what yours is made of...but many a prayer wheel has been made of ivory.  Can't tell if yours could be or if it is celluloid, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:05:31 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:45 am »
I don't think it's ivory. It doesn't have that feel and the surface looks like it's been made to look like ivory. Actually, the more I look at it, the most I'm thinking it's a fake for the tourists coming through there.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 10:03:54 am »
I don't believe that it is...but would be remiss if it wasn't checked out.  I know that there have been many times over the years that items looked "cheap" or "touristy" and come to find out they were original and worth $$!  Because, lots of touristy things got tossed because people didn't think there was value in them....but because so many got tossed....they became more valuable.

The first thing I would venture to do is get an translation of the script.  You might want to take a good pic and post it.  Some of us "researchers" might be able to get it translated for you.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »
I made a guess on which way is up with the writing.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:19:44 pm »
See what I can ask around on this one....

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 02:03:41 pm »
Thank you! I appreciate it!