Author Topic: Antique lamp, looking for ideas.  (Read 4057 times)

Denali

• View Profile
Antique lamp, looking for ideas.
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:48:07 am »
I am new here because I never had any experience with Antiques.  I was cleaning out my grandparents house and came across an old brass lamp.  I doubt it works.  I'm not sure if the glass is cracked, or if it's suppose to look this way.  It has no marks to tell me who made it so it is mass produced.  I have no clue what to do.  Is it something worth restoring?  I really wanted to sell it more than anything, but not sure what it is worth.  I realize I can't get a lot for it in this condition, but unless I can find a reliable person to restore it, I'd rather just sell it and be done with it.
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/575482_401617193203334_100000651703585_1264517_311596103_n.jpg
I know it's a fb picture, but it is not my personal account :)

antiquesnsuch

• View Profile
Re: Antique lamp, looking for ideas.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 11:27:36 am »
Most likely the glass is supposed to be "crackled" like that, but that is as far as I know, take a look under the base to see if it is signed anything

Denali

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 11:55:08 am »
There is nothing under the base.  No numbers, stamps, or anything else

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:07:58 pm »
Victorian style lamp,, crackeled glass was used on some, can`t tell much from that pic.  Can you post a pic here on this site ??

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »
To me that lamp is from the sixties. I would bet if you look inside the socket there is a copper or brass tab that lays flat and an aluminum one that stands straight up. That would be a two circuit socket for a three way bulb. It is probably white metal with crackle glass. Very popular during that era. Probably had a drum shade with a scalloped bottom.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 04:57:21 pm »
Totally agree with frogpatch as to the time period 60's to 70's - victorian in style only.  Beautiful piece.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 08:01:29 pm »
Figured that !! Thats why I didn`t give a date !! However,, some are beginning to look at these as well as the ones with the spagetti shades and globes !!  Prices may be going up !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
Mart, one of my favorite lamps I got at a garage sale and it is in this style...but it is cast brass base and stem.  Their popularity is growing because of style but more-so because of low pricing/affordability!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 01:21:23 pm »
Can`t really blame them,, looking at prices of some lamps today !!

Denali

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »
I doubt it is a 3 way.  It has a switch that you press.  To the right on, to the left off (depending on the orientation of the lamp of course) 

I have little doubt it was from the 50's or 60's.  My grandparents moved in shortly before then and the lamp sat all these years waiting to be repaired.  Think I'll see if I can get it professionally restored or at least restored to working condition before selling it.

Thanks for the tips.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:18:53 pm »
rewire kit is cheap at Home Depot, Lowes, Hardware Store.....

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 06:39:32 pm »
And quite simple to do !! You only have two wires attach one to each side !! You can`t screw it up !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 07:06:06 pm »
I am surprised that it has a push socket. It you want to rewire it the job is simple if you only work from the top. Squeeze the socket casing until the top pops off. leave the bottom cup shaped piece in place. Remove the wires from the socket screws. Pull out the old cord from the bottom. You may have to untie a knot in the top. Thread the new wire back in from the bottom and connect it to the socket screws. Replace the cylindrical piece you removed. If you need to replace the socket with a new one, unscrew the bottom piece of the socket shell. There may be a tiny set screw holding it in place. Loosen that first. Screw on the new bottom section of the socket shell. Connect the wires to the new socket  and snap in the top cylindrical part of the socket shell. (don't forget the cardboard insulating sleeve unless you want to see if your circuit breaker is working)  Never remove the bottom nut from the base of the lamp. The threaded rods usually have a tolerance of a quarter inch and once they become loose it will drive you crazy trying to get the right amount of thread exposed at each end while holding all the components in place.
I have rewired countless lamps as I was in the business for most of my life and that rule applies to all threaded rod style lamps. Table lamps or floor lamps. Do not do it. Your can slide all the parts up and off for cleaning and then slide them back down.

Tip: If you ever need to wire through an arm like a bridge lamp or bankers lamp or chandelier, drop a beaded chain into the pathway. It will find its way to the other side by gravity. Then tape the chain to the wire as narrow as possible and pull the wire gently through. If it comes apart halfway through; try again without throwing the lamp at the wall.

I hope someone finds this info useful.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 01:06:33 am »
Frogpatch....that beaded chain tip was PHENOMENAL!!!!!  Need to list on helpful threads if you get a chance!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 01:39:21 pm »
Thanks I will. I have a few things I need to put up.