Author Topic: Turton teapot  (Read 2373 times)

Noarth

• View Profile
Turton teapot
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:59:14 pm »
Hi guys and gals,
I think what I have here is a Turton Electroplated Brittanica Metal teapot but am not sure. From what I can find online the mark is John Turton and Co. Sheffield. John Turton & Co - 1898 - 1909.  Other than that all I could find was that anything with the stamp EPBM was worthless.  If this is from 1909 or earlier would it still be worthless? Thanks for any information at all....

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Turton teapot
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:36:58 pm »
Am I seeing correctly that there isn't any silver on this item?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:08 am »
KC,  I have seen many that have little silver left and show the copper !!  Looks like this may be one of those !!  I personally like the copper more than the silver plate !!  Always wondered why they didn`t showcase the copper in a mix with the silverplate !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:16 am »
Just being a teapot makes it worth something. There are still collectors that would love to add that one to the few dozen they already have sitting above their kitchen cabinets. ;)

Noarth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »
I am not sure how much silver is left but it is tarnished. Didn't want to touch it with anything until I knew more.  I was hoping that as the mark looks like it's from pre 1910 it would still be an item worth saving regardless. Any ideas on what to clean it with to see what is under the tarnish...silver or whatever Britannica metal is? Thanks!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 05:36:57 pm »
Its just a degree of silver plate !!  The UK has different standards I think !! Your teapot is commonly called Sheffield plate because they used copper as a base and plated over that !! Its pretty easy to find and not expensive !!
As for cleaning,, just use some Wrights Silver polish !! Silver was meant to be cleaned and used,, its not just to look at !! Even a decorative piece of silver needs cleaning occasionally

Noarth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 05:19:15 pm »
I took your advice and cleaned it up.  Seems there is a lot of silver left on it... Is it still pretty much worthless even with the mark of 1898-1906?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »
No,, its not worthless at all !!  Its a beautiful teapot !! I am glad you cleaned it !! If its silverplate over copper,, or Sheffield Plate,, there are some that collect it !!  Even if not,, have you checked copper prices lately ??  List it on ebay  at a reasonable starting price and see what happens !!  If you want to sell it that is ,, !!

aDawn

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 08:48:50 pm »
Wow it really cleaned up nice! I would have to keep it if it were mine haha.