Author Topic: Vietnam war dog tags and lighter?  (Read 1476 times)

Athenry

• View Profile
Vietnam war dog tags and lighter?
« on: May 13, 2012, 11:32:53 pm »
When I was in Ho Chi Minh city there were a lot of people selling dog tags and Zippo lighters. I tried to find the most legitimate ones, and ended up with these.

I believe I've verified the lighter as a real Zippo from 1968, these photos don't show any of the stamps, but if anyone knows anything about it's legitimacy it would be nice to know. The case looks like fire damage, I accidentally rubbed a little of the patina off, well, it just faded a little on the lid. The inside part, the actual lighter, looks like a replacement. So I was thinking maybe it was burnt out and just the case is legit, I'm not sure though.

The dog tags are interesting. The first is from a US Marine. The second is a Vietnamese name, and the location mentions Lien Thanh, an area in North Vietnam. I was under the impression that the North Vietnamese Army didn't have dog tags. So maybe it was a NV that joined the South forces? I'm not really sure, any information would be great.

Since I have the American man's name and military service number, is there any way for me to look up his records?

tony641

• View Profile
Re: Vietnam war dog tags and lighter?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »
If you go to the link I attached and register those guys will be able to tell you anything you want to know. 

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 10:13:45 pm »
Thanks for the info tony641!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:41:08 am »
That lighter has been on fire. I had a Zippo that was on fire once and it had a similar look to it. Chances are, it was stamped sometime after the war.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:53:58 am »
Back of the lighter is sort of a more modern form of "trench art" !! Cant tell from the pic if its an LCU or smaller ship but you might be able to trace the number on the side !!  Would be nice if the dog tags could be returned !!