Author Topic: Can you date my chaise longue?  (Read 1593 times)

Weezy

• View Profile
Can you date my chaise longue?
« on: May 15, 2012, 05:42:29 am »
Hi there

Am trying to date my chaise longue and would really appreciate any ideas as to how to go about it.  I am including Photos.  The piece is really unique as it is reversible, the back can be removed and placed the other side so it can be left or right facing.  It has obviously been reupholstered as the strapping underneath the seating is pristine and the fabric is in great condition.  Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I sadly have to sell this item due to house remodelling :(

ThisNThat

• View Profile
Re: Can you date my chaise longue?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:05:34 am »
Actually, this is what they called a Fainting couch. We have one also, that actually folds out into a bed. This one is pretty plain, design wise, but looks like the wood is in good shape. My guess is mid to late 1800s.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:44 am »
Can`t see the underneath construction,, but my opinion is late Empire revival made sometime in the early to mid 30`s !! They were getting away from the heavy carved look and going to the curves you see on this piece !! You could call it a bit Art Nouveau !!  Everything was getting a soft look !!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:23:12 am by mart »

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 06:00:59 pm »
Beautiful! I've been looking at these and my hubby keeps saying no one will sit on it except me... and then he knows that I'll require him to fan me with a palm frond and feed me grapes like Cleopatra!! ;)

I've seen them called both 'chaise lounge' and 'fainting couch'. Some people mistakenly think that women who wore corsets fainted frequently, and had special couches for this purpose, but as I understand it, this is a popular myth. I can speak from personal experience on this wearing corsets. If a person is in good health, a corset should not make anyone faint and the likelihood of being able to hit the couch in the midst of a fainting spell seems pretty slim to me. We reenactors wear them frequently. I've done things like packing up a large camp full of gear while wearing one. No special sofa required!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:27:36 pm »
Thanks tales for the clarification !!  I have never tried a corset myself !! They look uncomfortable to me !!  Actually both are proper as well as the later term "day bed" !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »
I would be interested in pics of the underside and construction.  I have friends that have some that were made in North Carolina and look just like the antique ones. 

What is the history on this one?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

Weezy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 03:44:47 pm »
Thanks for all the comments guys :). I will get some construction pics tomorrow when the light is good.  It was bought from a reputable antiques dealer local to me (I am in the UK, near Burford, Oxfordshire) and I am pretty sure that I got paperwork with it but not long after the purchase our village was subjected to horrific flooding and we had to move quickly and I fear the paperwork was lost :(

Loving the idea of a fainting couch!  What drew me to the piece was the simplicity of it - I don't like the heavily carved chaises, although beautiful they don't fit with me or my house, even tho it is an 1827 Old Chapel!