Author Topic: Antique Furniture  (Read 2082 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Antique Furniture
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:48:30 am »
I have these two pieces - a bench seat and a lyre-back wash stand. The bench is 4'9" tall, 3'4" wide and 17" deep. The seat opens up for a storage. The wash stand is 4'3" tall, 31" wide and 16" deep. I advertised in three local classifieds -  the bench for $200 and the wash stand for $150. So far I have not received one inquiry. Are my prices too high?

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Antique Furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:39 am »
Ten years ago those pieces would have sold without a problem. Today, you have to encourage someone to buy old furniture...best way to do that is by pricing low enough that they think it's a bargain. It's a shame, but I would drop the price by $50 on each piece and see what happens.

ThisNThat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:53 am »
For me personally, I don't think they're too high. Is there something wrong with the wash stand? It looks all spotted, and I can't tell if it's the photo or not. If it needs to be restored, I'd drop the price. If it's in usable condition, I think it's fair.

I love that first piece!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:12 am »
For a large metro area price would be about right,, smaller towns,, I would take Rauville`s suggestion !!  For ease of selling try Craigslist,,then move the ad around to towns within driving distance !!  I am selling a boat for a neighbor and thats what I am doing !! That way the ad is on the first page and isn`t lost way down the list !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »
Ditto the wonderful advice given above!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 05:02:16 am »
Nothing wrong with the wash stand. I dusted it off before taking the photo and I think what makes it look that way are the dust particles that are still floating in the are near the stand.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:09:42 am »
The first one is called a Hall Bench!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 12:40:38 pm »
Are my prices too high?

They could be, depending on where you are. I think the real problem is most furniture collectors are only interested in period pieces, not vintage or 20th century stuff. There was a mid century modern (1940-60) craze awhile back and then theres shabby chic, which to me looks like what you have, vintage (1920-40), which is painted white.

I would go with what Mart & Rauville advised as its probably the easiest way to sell.