Author Topic: Permanent Marker Removal?  (Read 2638 times)

aDawn

Permanent Marker Removal?
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:44:40 am »
 I recently bought a white (milk glass?) Fire King bowl for $0.25 at an estate sale. They used masking tape to put tags on everything and somehow the permanent marker stained through the tape and now the bottom of the bowl says 25 on the inside :/   

I cleaned it really well with regular dish soap and it looks a little better, but it's still pretty obvious. Anyone know how to remove it completely? 

Thanks!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Permanent Marker Removal?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:22 am »
Try a cloth and some toothpaste - rub gently!  It usually does the trick!!!!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:42 am »
Alcohol is what I use !!  Also for the glue on tags and tape !!  If that doesn`t work try fingernail polish remover !! Acetone based !! Just that plain watery kind !!  Not the thick one !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:54:25 am »
I use those after the others Mart if I am being cautious!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:51:42 am »
For tough Stickers and Tape and Sticker adhesive that is old and dried on you can also use "Goo Gone" which you can get at the Dollar store for, well you guessed it, $1

I've found alcohol to be the best to remove magic marker. For porous items I usually use a cue tip and dip it in the alcohol then roll the cue tip between my fingers for one 360 degree rotation when applying the alcohol to the item to remove the marker so I don't bleed the magic marker back into the pores of the item. I may use a half dozen or so cue tips during this process to get as much of the magic marker up as possible. Then use your favorite other applicable methods to remove the rest of the magic marker from different types of surface.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:02:52 am by KevinM »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:24 am »
Only thing I have had stained permanently was unglazed ceramic or bisque and a few plastics !!

aDawn

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 08:56:50 am »
Thanks all! I used the toothpaste yesterday then the nail polish remover today. It's still faintly visible, but it's way better than it was. :)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 09:01:46 am »
Try the alcohol !! I prefer it !! Thing is,, it needs to be used first (sorry, KC) I have found that some things change the composition of the marker ink and make it much harder to remove for some reason !! So I use the alcohol first and the rest after that !!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:19 pm »
I've had good results using isopropyl alcohol , but would advise using 90% vs the more common 70-75% .

On 'cheapo/cheaper' items (glass) I've found that a fine grade (1200 'grit') of automotive rubbing compound does the trick as well , but cerium oxide with a drop of soap & some water (or toothpaste , as suggested above) is a better choice IMO .
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

aDawn

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 08:38:25 pm »
I tried the rubbing alcohol and now it's just barely visible. Almost gone. I think I will try the automotive compound too. Haha maybe an "all of the above" method could do the trick ;)

Thanks everyone!

chaffee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 01:46:17 am »
You might laugh, but a magic sponge might do the trick.
Good Luck!

Tim

eclectic.widgetry

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:32 am »
The best thing I've found to remove permanent marker is a product called Awesome Orange (a degreaser and spot remover). I've had better luck with this than with Goo Gone. Gets off all kinds of residue (especially stickers and tape) quicker and cleaner than any other product I've used. After using it, wash the area with soap and water to avoid any film. Definitely at the top of my list!