Author Topic: Tin Item Another Whatsit  (Read 1285 times)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Tin Item Another Whatsit
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:27:51 pm »
My wife and I were out at yard sales and this thing was on a table among all newer items. I thought I would put it up here and see who knows what it is. It is 8 inches long. The cone is 3 1/4 in diameter at the bottom and its about 5 inches high. It is very old. Not a repro. It is marked by the maker but I am not putting that info up because it is easy to search and that would be cheating. Not that any of you would cheat. I did.  I took the picture on another weekend sale find which is a Boston lobster pot. 

mart

• View Profile
Re: Tin Item Another Whatsit
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:38:28 pm »
Ice cream/ shaved ice scoop !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »
You are good. It is actually a very early ice cream mold or clarion made around 1878. It is marked V Clad and Sons, Philadelphia with an address on 111th st. They were also made of pewter. I like the way it has a thumb indentation from hard scooping. I paid $1 for it. If you turn the finial on the top it rotates two blades on the inside to dislodge your scoop. Saturday was a great day for finding stuff. There were  two town wide sales. We got a lot of stuff. The best was a small Shaker firkin or nut bucket.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 06:36:52 pm »
Actually that key on top is what kind of told me what it was !! I have seen later ones with the same type key !!