Author Topic: 1930s longines wrist watch swiss with timer nov. 1938 date  (Read 1243 times)

rsorgel

• View Profile
i found this watch in a box i bought at an estate sale. after searching longines, i found out its actually a high class brand. i did post it on ebay, but after giving it a second thought i need to make sure its authentic before it sells. i also could use help dating it. im not sure if the 1938 date on the back is a possible anniversary date or something. it could be earlier than 1938 and the date was added or it could be later than 1938. not sure. any tips on identifying if its real or fake? and any tips on dating it? im really precaucious to open it up because watches are so very delicate on the inside and id hate to ruin a valuable watch. thanks!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: 1930s longines wrist watch swiss with timer nov. 1938 date
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 08:50:34 am »
It looks like the real deal to me. I think the date on the back is when it was presented to someone who may have bee retiring from a company. Take it to a jeweler who specializes in vintage watches to get it appraised. I am not qualified to guess but I know there is a demand for vintage Swiss watches. I have written web pages for several pawn shops and jewelry/gold buyers and that is one thing that is always listed as what they are buying. Longines is always a requested brand along with Omega, Gruen and Patik Philipe and of course Rolex.

rsorgel

• View Profile
Re: 1930s longines wrist watch swiss with timer nov. 1938 date
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:30:34 pm »
awesome! thanks for the advice frogpatch! i just took it to the jeweler to have it inspected and it is authentic, and whats better, its 100% original. even though the dial is pretty roughed up, its still valued at 200$. not my childrens college fund, but still awesome to find in a box at an auction which i only bought for the vintage wire rim glasses!