Author Topic: What is this desk?  (Read 888 times)

maggiew

• View Profile
What is this desk?
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:52:44 pm »
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and was hoping someone would recognize the desk I just purchased! I am in college and starting to purchase my first pieces of furniture. I love antiques and hope to furnish my home with many one day. I am very excited about my first big buy!

The woman I bought this from says she purchased it in 1957 for $55 in Chicago. At the time, the antique shop said it was about 75 years old. There are no markings on the desk anywhere that indicate a manufacturer except for a metal tab nailed on with the name "Geo. L. Sprafka." I do not know if this is the maker of the desk or the person who owned it. I attached a picture of it to this post.

Has anyone seen a version of this desk before? I would love to know the details about when it was made and what it's value is. I can look at it to verify any of the details.

Thank you so much!

Best,
Maggie

mart

• View Profile
Re: What is this desk?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:47:22 am »
Looks like a 20`s era Victorian desk !! Could be slightly earlier but thats a ballpark time line !! Probably walnut and looks to be in pretty good condition !!  Bad thing and good thing about furniture of this era is that its quite affordable if you like the style,,but no great resale value !! Value,, $75. to $125. depending on area !! You can find a lot of this type furniture here in the south !! Still,, a nice find and good starter piece !!