Author Topic: is this silver plated? it looks old no markings tho  (Read 2927 times)

malcolm900

• View Profile
is this silver plated? it looks old no markings tho
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:41:37 am »
value? theres like a new solder paste under it, looks new?

i rubbed it with a white tissue, some black was on it.

mart

• View Profile
Re: is this silver plated? it looks old no markings tho
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:21 am »
If silver,, even plate usually have marks somewhere !! Can we see the bottom ??

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:20 pm »
If silver,, even plate usually have marks somewhere !! Can we see the bottom ??

no marks

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »
i see wear tho where it looks like parts falling off?

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »
magnets didnt stick 2 it

rsorgel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42:35 pm »
even  if a magnet doesnt stick, it could still be plated. either a thick plate or a non-magnetic metal as a base. the rule of thumb is that if it doesnt have a 925 or any sterling mark on it, it is silver plated. UNLESS it is just that old. yours doesnt look that old and my guess is silver plate. even though usually silver plate still has a mark. the only test ive ever used to test silver or silver plate is with nitric acid. be vary careful and in an inconspicuous spot on the bottom, scratch a deep enough scratch where it would hit the base metal. take a dropper and place a SMALL drop on the scratched part. if it turns milky, it is sterling, if it turns red or green, it is plated. be very careful and where gloves. the acid WILL ruin the spot you put it on, so only do this if you dont mind if it gets ruined or if you test it in enough of an inconspicuous place that it doesnt matter. hope this helps, and dont forget if you dont want it to ruin, dont test with nitric acid.

malcolm900

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:57 am »
even  if a magnet doesnt stick, it could still be plated. either a thick plate or a non-magnetic metal as a base. the rule of thumb is that if it doesnt have a 925 or any sterling mark on it, it is silver plated. UNLESS it is just that old. yours doesnt look that old and my guess is silver plate. even though usually silver plate still has a mark. the only test ive ever used to test silver or silver plate is with nitric acid. be vary careful and in an inconspicuous spot on the bottom, scratch a deep enough scratch where it would hit the base metal. take a dropper and place a SMALL drop on the scratched part. if it turns milky, it is sterling, if it turns red or green, it is plated. be very careful and where gloves. the acid WILL ruin the spot you put it on, so only do this if you dont mind if it gets ruined or if you test it in enough of an inconspicuous place that it doesnt matter. hope this helps, and dont forget if you dont want it to ruin, dont test with nitric acid.

i dont have n acid any other way 2 test?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »
Sterling is very heavy when compared to silverplated items of same.

Betting silver plated. 
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

otolith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:40:26 pm »
 I can guarantee that is silver plated. The older the work the better the craftsmanship is a rule of thumb. If it were old, no respected silversmith would allow imperfections of that magnatude. No fins or grindmarks or manufacturing flaws would be tolerated. Still a very nice piece though  :)