Author Topic: Jade carving of some kind?  (Read 1859 times)

mattsobo

• View Profile
Jade carving of some kind?
« on: May 29, 2012, 05:02:35 pm »
 Found this at a garage sale a few days ago, paid only two bucks. The man I bought it from is unsure of where it came from or what it was. I have done several test and determined it's jade. Now this piece is weird looking, I thought it was from a lamp or something similiar but now im not sure. It weighs about 5 pounds and has a hole going through the center of it. Anyone ever see anything like this or have an idea of what it is or where it came from? Thanks :)

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: Jade carving of some kind?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
It looks like alabaster which comes from a certain region of Mexico near Tecali. It is known for its unusual greenish color. Alabaster or onyx marble has striations like this. It is used for lighting such as lamps and architectural elements like pillars and columns. It take a large piece to be turned into a smaller item. A 12 inch bowl may be made from a large block measuring 12 x 18 inches. This is just an opinion and not a definitive reply.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »
It looks like a lamp base to me !!

mattsobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:25:55 pm »
 Think you nailed it with the alabaster, tricky sucker. (EDIT) Ok so I tried to scratch it with my nail and it doesn't scratch it, I read alabaster is soft. Also makes a nice chime if struck with a coin or metal spoon, and it's icy cold if you put it on your cheek. But it does scratch with a stainless steel knife. Does this still sound like alabaster?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 05:02:07 am by mattsobo »

mattsobo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:21:45 pm »
So I tried another jade test wrapping hair around it and trying to burn the hair. It didnt burn...tried even a tissue didnt bburn either when it was wrapped around.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »
Its not jade !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:16 am »
Onyx? A lot of lamp bases were made of onyx and still are. He is right. Alabaster is soft. Onyx comes in minty green and is a form of quartz. Google it and you will see the endless array of colors.