Author Topic: What I think is a bracken roller  (Read 4150 times)

cb87

• View Profile
What I think is a bracken roller
« on: July 23, 2012, 05:05:07 am »
Hi all,

As I said in a previous post, I've just moved into a new property. The garden is very steep and has been mostly taken over by bracken. I was saying to my Dad, that a lot of places control bracken by rolling it (although this now always seems to be done on the back of a tractor). I was clearing some bushes away later that day, and came across what I think is a manual, hand-operated bracken roller. It looks old and is like a ton weight! Due to the steepness of the garden, I think if you managed to roll it down there, you'd never get it back up again.

One side of the bracken roller says 'Selfridges and Co, London' and on the other side, it says "Invincta" (actually in inverted commas). The roller seems to actually consist of two separate rollers, next to each other. One seems a bit seized up, but could probably be freed.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing - is it even a bracken roller? I've google'd it a lot and can't find anything on hand-operated bracken rollers, or the names that are displayed so boldly on it.

Thank you very much!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: What I think is a bracken roller
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 05:14:56 am »
Need some pictures, cb!
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 05:39:19 am »
Sorry, ghopper! Hope these work:

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09:06 am »
Whats bracken ??  A weed ??  Actually these are used for several things !! When laying sod for a new lawn you roll it with this to make sure the roots make contact with soil underneath, seeding a lawn,,roll after seeding to impress seed into soil, Leveling and packing sand for foundations in preparation for pouring concrete !!  It is an old one though !!

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 10:16:31 am »
Bracken is like an invasive fern species. But good point, I never considered the other potential uses. I just wish I could find something on Selfridge & Co, or Invincta. I can't find anything at all!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 10:26:31 am »
I know we have these in the US for evening out soil before sod is laid and then after sod is laid.  The purpose is to push the sod into the soil so that the roots will be forced into the oil and to get all the bumpiness out and make the lawn look smooth.  This process goes on for a few days if needed (wet then rolled again to even out the sod)!  We have used them in our yard and man they are rough on the body!!!!!

Here's one sold today for comparison
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381785_200381785?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Grounds%20Maintenance-_-Aerators%20%2B%20Lawn%20Rollers-_-365366&ci_sku=365366&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Google "antique lawn and sod roller" and you will get quite a few hits.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:33:39 am by KC »
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 10:32:39 am »
Thanks KC, perhaps it isn't a bracken roller after all. Is there a certain name for these types of things then, or are they just called a 'sod roller?'

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:33:15 am »
AHA! I type 'sod roller' into google and I finally find what I've been after!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 10:38:28 am »
I know they are used on crickett fields, playing fields, etc...still.

The ones today are hollow and then you fill with soil or water.

The ones I see for sale that are the old heavy ones sell pretty well!!!!  Betting yours is from the early 1900's.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:27 am »
Thanks very much for the info! Where are you seeing them for sale? Here (in the UK) I can't really find anything on Ebay. Would be great to get a bit of cash for it though!

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:44:59 am »
Typed 'lawn roller' into Ebay and one 'antique' one has come up, but has only 14hours left on the bidding and has no bids, at £12 :( I guess location matters though, as this isn't the sort of thing that could be posted!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 10:46:01 am »
I do believe that the previous owners used this for bracken because it would crush it.  They also invested to own one because, like so many invasive species, it would help for awhile and have to be done again (usually every 2 - 3 years once under control).

Search antique or vintage tool sites.  They have some for sale on Ebay here in the US as well.  I have known about them because we contemplated buying one or renting when we sodded our new place years ago.  

The key to the sell is timing.  If it has been sitting there for years....take awhile to sell it....the right buyer will come along!  Keep an eye on the market.

cb87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:48:14 am »
Thank you for your help, KC! I'll have a look around and keep you updated, if I come into a small fortune! :)

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »
Anyone who "loves their lawn" and lives in a seasonal cliimate has a lawn roller because the "winter freezing" will raise humpies n' bumpies all over their lawn and if they are not rolled "down" smooth they will just get bigger during the next winter.

And the bigger they get ..... the harder they are to try to flatten out.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 01:43:04 pm »
https://foursquare.com/v/selfridges--co/4ae5b238f964a52087a121e3
Try this !!  Looks like they are still in business !!