Author Topic: Table Runner Handmade??? Era???  (Read 1919 times)

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
Table Runner Handmade??? Era???
« on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:41 pm »
I really like this runner. I'm going to have dry cleaned and us it. How old do you think it is? I think it was handmade.
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Table Runner Handmade??? Era???
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:32:13 am »
Really too hard to say from your picture.  But from historical accounts these were definitely being embroidered by hand (meaning it was a common thing and expected thing) up until the early 60's.  Most likely 40's to 60's.

What is the decoration?  Can't make it out.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:49:32 am »
Thanks, I'll try to put up a better picture.

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »
Very reminiscent of the old linens of my mom's I was just sorting through the other day. Many of the 'open work' and embroidered ones she had told me were done for her by the Sisters of Service at the local convent. That would have been in the late 30's, early to mid 40's.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 04:58:10 pm »
It's funny either this houses objects were the 40' or late 18 hundreds. It's been abandon for some time. The neighborhood has become hot for young people. I'm so lucky to get the oppurtunity to go through it. This runner is in pristine condition. It's amazing. Do you still use your embroidered peices?

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »
Greenacres, those have all been buried away for years. It's probably been 25 to 30 years since they saw their last use.  And as none of my 'kids' are into linens scattered through the house, they'll likely stay hidden away permanently. I pulled some out that have seen better days and they'll be going. The rest I just give a sigh and fold them back up. I probably should at least have the decency to give them a cleaning before packing them up again. I honestly don't know why I've hung onto them. Furniture, figurines and dishes have always held an appeal for me but I've never had a strong attachment to the linens.....even though I can go back through my wedding picture, my sister's and my parents and see the same table cloth under each wedding cake.

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »
I have a hard time parting with things, too! My kids will probably need a big garage sale when I go! ;D