Author Topic: mother of pearl carved shell  (Read 4431 times)

Serial

• View Profile
Re: mother of pearl carved shell
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 10:07:12 pm »
this is the best i can do with my camera. note the inperfections in the cut, this is one of the reasons i was drawn to it originally, it was clean but not perfect like a laser cut item would be
btw i have looked high and low on the interwebz for info on this. i have only found 4 other items close to it and they did not have detail anywhere near as good so if it was mass produced i would expect to find it on gumtree/craigs list/ebay or something.
i just cant find anything on this so any direction would be apprciated and i am happy to do my own research
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:40:06 pm by Serial »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 09:30:48 am »
Where are the carving marks ??  If you look at the last pic you posted,, note the veins on the main leaf all are same exact size and shape,, not even one is wider or more narrow than the others and they end the same at the edge. That is why I think it was not hand carved !! Its too exact !! But if it is or is not machine done,, my thought is that its either Japanese or done by many Islanders as a tourist item. And believe me,, the technology has increased considerably in the most remote  places. If I had to put a value on it as a decorative object,, I would say around $50.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 08:00:22 pm »
I agree that it is gorgeous.  We have a whole collections of shells (many are boxed - we have too many from over the years).

I am leaning towards machined....just don't see the marks/markings that handmade would leave.  BUT, I am viewing a picture in low quality resolution compared to a hands on. 

The thing that catches my eye is that the bird is behind - more like a background item - with less importance than the flower and twigs.  Just appears to have a "new" feel - like the end of 1980's forward.  Just can't make out a style (EX:  Phillippines, etc.)

Hopefully someone else will pop in and know more!

Best of luck!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »
Cool little item , Serial .

It's 'Asian' in origin , but it is a bit oddly themed for the 'Asian-only' market , however it's looking like a cutie through my eyes .

I don't think you'll like my very best guess (unless you're Japanese & use such facial/beauty products) , Serial , but hey here goes :

IMO

Your item appears to be a mixing vessel for nightingale droppings , as are commonly used in Japan ... such items sometimes come as fancy special 'gift sets' and as such usually have a few extra items nestled within them (in their gift boxes) , such as a smoother (bamboo or shell) , a short-bristled brush , a silk bag full of nightingale poop , a hand-fan & blotting papers/rice chaff bags.

The odd thing to me , concerning the motif of the carvings is depicting the "Nightingale & Rose" , which comes from the title of a "western" poem , rather than the more famous (in Japan) Onoto Watannas' "A Japanese Nightingale" .

I'd also say that your item is very much indended to be given from a mother to a daughter , or from a husband to his wife , as the depiction is symbolic of great love .

As to the patina , well I can't really say , as dyed shell items can be easily 'doctored' to color(s)-of-choice... I'd hazard a guess of the 1970's-1980's , which ain't a real guess , cuz I kaint see the dang thing in front of me in RL !

So there's my 2 yens-worth .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:13:04 pm by fancypants »
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2012, 09:50:28 pm »
Fancypants, I am for once at a loss for words.....written or spoken!

Nope....can't do it.....
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

fancypants

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 10:11:26 pm »
Boy , do I know how ya' feel , KC ....
" Methinks me the 'mental' in sentimental .... "

Serial

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 02:17:45 am »
thanks guys, appriciate the info. problem is i cant find anything like it online.
i have checked auction houses, ebay,online selling forums the works.
anyone able to post a link to something like it?
wish i could put it in your hands, pictures dont do it justice and being mother of pearl its hard to take a picture without the flash bluring the pic