Author Topic: HELP!!! Pair of Gates  (Read 1308 times)

crazed987

• View Profile
HELP!!! Pair of Gates
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:47 am »
I have a pair of antique authentic gates made by J.W.Fiske and Company. One slightly damaged. I wanted to get a price on it. Pre-1900 vintage. All hand crafted (no welding) forge and riveted . One gate has minor damage from auto . These gates once hung in Chapaqua N.Y. and since being removed have been in storage. 95% complete and  easily brought back to operational condition.6-6 foot wide x 5-3 at hinge and 5-9 at center joint. Script letter  (L) in center logo. Close to 300#. Please see attached photo of both gates including the one slightly damaged.

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Re: HELP!!! Pair of Gates
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »
JW Fiske Iron Works operated in the early part of the 20th century in New York State but I do not know the city. I will look a little further. Most examples like yours were made in the mid 1920s. They sell for around 900.00 for a single gate. A double could fetch around 2000.00 to the right buyer. The letter on the gate means they were custom made for a wealthy family or a business but it also limits the market for them to persons or a business who wants that initial.  I am sorry it took so long for you to receive a reply. I personally did not see the post until last night but my day was already spent.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:14:25 pm »
I was about to reply but got sidetracked !!  That damage could cost quite a bit for a repair !! That price would only be if repairs were done and they are in good condition !!  Repair could run $800. or more !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:57:36 pm »
I just thumbed through this and found it interesting...

http://www.archive.org/stream/illustratedcatal00jwfi#page/n1/mode/2up

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:31:33 pm »
It is hard to believe that a building like that once stood in that area of lower Manhattan. There is not a trace of it left. There is a Lot Less Store and some shops and restaurants on what is now a street that is ery narrow. You can do a 360 view there on Google Maps