Author Topic: help please  (Read 1584 times)

pennyr

• View Profile
help please
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »
I found an old painting I had purchased over 20 years ago at this estate sale of a 90 plus year old lady who lived down the road from me at the time. The portrait frightened my daughter who was maybe 3 at the time and I tucked it away and at some point after several moves and many years it ended up in a box in my basement-it is a painting of a civil war navy officer and when I realized what it was I took the frame apart to check out the painting. It was in an old wood hand made frame, with a handmade backing and nails holding it in and old wire to hang it with. When I finally got out what I thought was card board behind it the picture I was even more surprised. When I turned the card board piece over to take out the painting I discovered the cardboard had printing on the other side.  It was actually an old advertisement of some kind. I have searched and asked everyone I know and spent hours looking everywhere online and can find NOTHING about this. Help if you can please! I am more curious than ever now.
The flip side of cardboard is colored that old deco blue with the words Streamline going across the top in yellow and then below that a picture of a brick home with a green roof and a chimney in the front of house, green door, long windows, trees and green lawn. Under the house picture it says in red letters BRICK- CRAFT and then under that in black it says Make your own bricks- Build your own house. Any help about this add or what it is from or time period would be great--it would also help me date when this oil painting from the civil war was placed into this rickety frame and help date the painting as well.

aDawn

Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:49:18 pm »
Any way you can post pictures? Sounds interesting...

pennyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:34 pm »
I tried and the pic wont post, but I just had someone tell me its the top of an old box that contained a toy for kids in the 1940s--it was a kit that made half bricks with roof and windows and they could build their own scale model house--that at least tells me this navy Admiral portrait was placed in the frame sometime around 1940 or that it needed a back to hold it in and they used a kids toy box top to do that...I love old stuff

aDawn

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:05:54 pm »
Aaah, that makes sense.

Yep, "old stuff" is indeed very interesting ;) I can spend hours just perusing this site and the internet absorbing information haha.

pennyr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:09:47 pm »
trying to post pic of navy officer I was getting to

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 04:07:07 am »
The uniform will date the person in the portrait but will not necessarily date the painting.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »
What is the painting done on ??  Canvas, wood or ??