Author Topic: Vintage/Antique find & I have no idea what it is. A match holder?  (Read 2036 times)

xmelax38

• View Profile
My husband & I bought a box of stuff and this item was in it. We have no idea what it is. I think it is vintage, may not be antique. The closest thing I could find to it was in an antique book. The item in the book was almost the same shape. It was called: Kingsware Mephisto Match Holder. Now I am sure this is not the same thing. I cannot tell you what the material is. It is almost like wood, but I really don't know. It has a gold type trim and decoration on it. I wondered if anyone could tell me what they think it could be?

Thank you ahead of time!

I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage/Antique find & I have no idea what it is. A match holder?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 09:35:28 pm »
I believe you are referring to a Royal Doulton Mephisto Match Holder.  Don't believe yours is Royal Doulton.

Yours looks like red clay?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:56:42 pm »
It might be clay. It is hard for me to tell what the material is. It is almost like a wood type material (yet I don't think it is wood either). I am at a loss on it. My husband is no help at all in helping me identify the material it is made of. I think when I ask him, he is not listening. He always his head yes when I ask him a question about the stuff...so I know he is not listening. :)
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:52:07 am »
It appears to be a Mexican made red clay pot !!  Most likely just for odds and ends or such,, maybe just a tourist item !!  Can you show the bottom of it ??

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:51:02 am »
Yes I will show a picture of the bottom. I wasn't sure if it was or not. Thank you! I feel really stupid. I should have known it was just a mexican made tourist item. I guess seeing that match holder, made me wonder if it was or not, ha ha.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 12:55:35 pm »
I am pretty sure its mexican made from the bottom !!

xmelax38

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:40:31 pm »
Thank you! :) Sorry about that.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 02:31:57 pm »
Nothing to be sorry about !! Looks like it has some age to it and I like it !!  I am in Texas and we see a lot of similar items here !!