Author Topic: Indian Padauk carved chair  (Read 3185 times)

tsmith

• View Profile
Indian Padauk carved chair
« on: June 22, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »
Hi guys,
I've got a beautiful indian Padauk/ padouk carved chair here and I'm curious about how much it is worth. It is well carved and I think it might be pre 1900's.
If anyone has any additional information about this exquisite piece I would be very appreciative!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Indian Padauk carved chair
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:32:59 pm »
More photos! What is the seat made of?

What is Padauk? Is that the type of wood, or the type of chair?

If it were made in Europe or the U.S., I would call it a "slipper chair." I think your guess is correct as to age: I'd say perhaps 1860-70 or so. Depending on if it is frome a famous Indian "maker" or not, it's probably worth $300-$500 dollars, but that's just a guess.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:32:48 am »
More photos! What is the seat made of?

What is Padauk? Is that the type of wood, or the type of chair?

If it were made in Europe or the U.S., I would call it a "slipper chair." I think your guess is correct as to age: I'd say perhaps 1860-70 or so. Depending on if it is frome a famous Indian "maker" or not, it's probably worth $300-$500 dollars, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for your reply! Sadly I am away from home at this moment, so I cannot supply further photos for a few days. I can tell you that Padauk is a type of wood, apparently difficult to carve and needs very sharp tools to detail well. I've done alot of looking about and found only 2 similar chairs, see below:

http://www.antiques.co.uk/antique/19th-C-Anglo-Indian-Carved-Chair

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7615263

Details on this piece have been hard to come by, for me. I shall post more details such as a stamp or carved signature in a few days.
Thanks again!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:28:40 am »
Well, it looks like I got the year right, more or less  ;D

From the comparables you posted, it may be worth more, say around $1K.

-Broderick Crawford

tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 05:46:56 pm »
Hi guys, as promised I have a few more pics of the item described above, no sign of a maker as of yet. Note there is a crack on the bacl of the chair, Ive done my best to exhibit this crack. Do you still think its worth much?
Ive been informed the chair is anglo-indian around 1850's to 1900's.
Thanks in advance
Toby

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 03:54:28 am »
From what I could see of the crack it didn't look too bad. It may detract from the value a little.

I think we've got the right time period, ca. 1860. I think 1K for the value is still pretty accurate, without actually seeing the chair of course. If you're trying to sell it, I'd start in that neighborhood.

Lots of nice handwork from what I can see. It's a beauty! You're lucky to have it.

-Broderick Crawford

tsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:59 am »
From what I could see of the crack it didn't look too bad. It may detract from the value a little.

I think we've got the right time period, ca. 1860. I think 1K for the value is still pretty accurate, without actually seeing the chair of course. If you're trying to sell it, I'd start in that neighborhood.

Lots of nice handwork from what I can see. It's a beauty! You're lucky to have it.

Thank you very much for your reply. I am truly thankful to be able to own a beautiful chair like this! All the best
Toby

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 03:24:34 pm »
Toby, very few people get to own something this beautiful. Enjoy!

-Broderick Crawford