Author Topic: Antique Chair Question (Idk if we can post 2 questions in the forum or not).  (Read 6056 times)

mart

• View Profile
Could be Frogpatch,, I would not argue the date as this type chair was made for many years !! I based my opinion on the wood which I would bet an RC coca cola and a Moonpie is mahogany !!  It was in use more in early 1900`s for cottage or less expensive furniture !!  Say 1920 through 30 !! But could just as easily be earlier !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
If you make it fried catfish and hush puppies, you have a bet. I would say it is a cheaper wood stained dark that has turned darker like poplar or beech. Look at the underside of the seat.  I don't see mahogany grain there, do you?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:58:16 am by frogpatch »

xmelax38

• View Profile
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the input/comments. I also, will check out that link. I really appreciate everything everyone has said. This is the best site ever!!!!
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

xmelax38

• View Profile
I think that is the same amount of holes on the bottom and everything. That is very interesting. :) Our chair won't fit into the furniture, we are hoping to buy (through an auction) for our living room (Queen Anne), but maybe I can make it fit into our bedroom one day. I am really unsure what to do with this chair right now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:17:12 am by xmelax38 »
I love auctions/antique stores! I love old photos & books. This is the best group on the internet. :) I try to get on often, but I've had 2 brain surgeries & a back surgery. The pain is awful so I don't get on as often as I would like. It doesn't take away my love of old stuff.

mart

• View Profile
If you make it fried catfish and hush puppies, you have a bet. I would say it is a cheaper wood stained dark that has turned darker like poplar or beech. Look at the underside of the seat.  I don't see mahogany grain there, do you?

No, but look at the second pic ! There is a seam on the left !!  I think the under side is a separate wood and was only faced with the mahogany around the perimeter !!  The pic showing the underside,, look at the edge on the left showing darker than the secondary wood !!  You can just make out the edge of it in that little triangular spot !!  But I would go  catfish and hushpuppies anyway for you !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Y'all leave a chair at the table for me.

mart

• View Profile
LOL !!     Will do !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Mart is correct; this is a chair type that was made for many years. I would say that the link, however, is just a bit earlier as "our" chair (due to the back rails or splats) is more clearly indebted to Eastlake.

However, I'd be surprised if the wood was mahogany. Mahogany (and rosewood) was the cadillac of wood choices in the mid 19th century, then again in the 1930s and 40s during the colonial revival. Walnut, beech or ash is more likely for "our" chair.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
If you combine the food requests of both of you...you have a full meal!  :)
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile

Basswood or Linden and Yellow Poplar were/are used in furniture making.

But looking at the underneath side of the seat, my guess is walnut.

Black Walnut is really not black, ya know, but it is named such because of the White Walnut or Butternut, which is also a beautiful wood.

Interesting fact about Black Walnut is that direct exposure to Sunlight will turn it blacker n’ blacker.

My favorite wood is Sumac, when paired with Black Walnut to make lamps, checker boards, etc. (see picture on my "Gaff Hook" posting.)

xmelax38

• View Profile
We don't really know our wood really well. We do know our Victorian Side Chair is Walnut, but this one we are not sure. My uncle knows his wood really well and lives near by us. I may take it to him to see what it is made of. :)

mart

• View Profile
Its really not that important !! Frogpatch and I just have to one up each other in fun occassionally !!  Each of us can look at the same pic and see different things !!  Besides,, if you find out and I lose,, I have to catch and cook catfish and make hushpuppies so don`t rush !!

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
Mart, come have a Jersey Shore special. Its a pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich on a hard roll.  What's a hard roll? Its a roll that's not hard just crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.  It a Jersey thing.   

mart

• View Profile
Sound good !!  Is a pork roll a slice of pork loin ?? Or just good old bacon !!  I do a similar sandwich here but good breads are difficult to get since no bakery in this town !!  We do have Wal mart and the grocery stores,, but then again,, I said good bread !!