Author Topic: 1959 Abstract Expressionists?  (Read 1502 times)

DANTE5

• View Profile
1959 Abstract Expressionists?
« on: July 01, 2012, 02:04:24 pm »
Hi Guys,
This oil on canvas is titled "Storm at Sunset" dated 07/13/1959. Measuring 24" X 30".  No visible marking on the face of the painting. Painting is marked on the back in pencil with the title; date; location and artist. Only the date and title legible. I've photoshop for days to try to enhance the writing with no luck, I've even used a black light. Artist name is illegible. Can not make it out (pictures below).  I was wonder if anyone could share their opinion on this one.  I want to label this piece as "Abstract Expressionists "?  Would I be correct in this assumption? Also this type of art was very popular in 1959 and made history.  Could this piece be a true collectible in value? I acquired it from a thrift store in Georgia. 

mart

• View Profile
Re: 1959 Abstract Expressionists?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »
OK,, I will say either J Dean or J Larsen, depending on which one you look at !! But here is the thing,, its done on canvasboard !! That is not typically used for professional art !!  Its used more by hobbyists and beginners !!  Some pro`s do use smaller canvasboards as pleine air studies and then do the actual work in his or her studio on a good grade of stretched canvas !! But you got the style right, and it started to become quite popular about then and lasted several decades !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 08:12:13 am »
Hi Mart,

Thank you for your response.  I believe you are close (Larsen). I took the painting outside early this morning and took more pictures. I really can't make it out.  Question?  What if I took some aches or flour,that is, to smear over the marking.  Maybe it will bring out the lettering?  I agree that it could be possibly an amateur, however it's very striking, especially after you've looked at it several times.  I see the "Storn at Sunset" (Smile)  Thanks again Mart for your input.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:06 am »
Try the flour and let it settle in the pencil marks then take a tissue or something and lightly dust the excess off !!

DANTE5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
Once again Mart you are so resourceful. I will do just that. I will take more photos of the marking afterwards and hopefully I can photoshop the image.  Thanks