Author Topic: Please help with this antique blanket chest  (Read 5386 times)

rwinnh65

• View Profile
Please help with this antique blanket chest
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:25:03 pm »
I thank everyone in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

I received this chest from my grandparents estate.  I do not know much about it, but my mother remembers my Grandfather saying something about one identical being in the smithsonian.  I looked through their online pictures but could not find anything that matched this.  My grandfather was not one to usually embellish things, so maybe this is the case, but I haven't found any visual proof.

There is no sort of stamping/signature that I could find, the only thing I have seen that could be identifying are roman numerals on the underside of the front lid.  It is a nice looking piece, and would love to know more about it as I plan on passing it through our family.

I could not get my photos to attach, all three pictures can be found at:
http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/firstlineofoffense/Personal%20Collection%20NFT/

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
Re: Please help with this antique blanket chest
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:34:49 pm »
Welcome rwinnh65!

I've attached your pics here, but can you take a larger, clearer full shot of the chest?  That third one is hard to make out it's form (I lightened it up a bit). Also shots of the construction methods......unders ide, back,  joints, latches/hinges (especially any nails/screws......to help date).

Where are those markings located?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:50:08 pm »
Please post pics of the side, underside and back....also hinges.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 05:50:19 pm »
Ditto what KC said !! Need that side view showing leg detail !! And the marks !!

rwinnh65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:44 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to help me on this.  I have taken many new pictures, to include all side views, underside inside and more.

The link to the photobucket that has everything has changed from the first post.
http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab41/firstlineofoffense/Antique%20Chest%20-%20Non%20Cards/

Things I hadn't previously noticed that may be of note

*It looks like the original hardware were 2 hooks.  One is still there, but the one on the leftside is gone.  To their outside is a bracket on each end, that looks more modern.

*Also I took a picture of the wood trim piece on each end of the underside.  The nail looks to be older, with a more modern screw directly through the top of the wood.

There is black marking on the inside of the left trim piece, I though might be a marking or something but it is just on the surface, and isn't etched/carved in.

Hope this may be of help, again thanks for looking.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:54:18 pm »
That site takes too long to see them  !!  Is the box portion a square or is it more narrow at the bottom & is it divided or all one big box ??  Is it lined with something,, painted or what inside ??
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:15:51 pm by mart »

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:58:19 pm »
I don`t guess this one is coming back but I will give my opinion anyway !!  Based on what I can see I don`t think this started out as a blanket chest at all but more likely a bread or dough box !!  A blanket chest would not have typically had a divided interior and most if they had legs at all would have been short ones. They were more like our cedar chests today and form has changed little over the years. This is not a manufactured chest but a homemade one by someone that was proficient in making what was needed without much ornamentation !!  It looks to be a fairly early piece perhaps  mid 1800`s !! I think over the years someone painted the interior and simply repurposed it and that is why you were told it was a blanket chest !!  Perhaps that is why you did not find an example at the Smithsonian !!  You were looking for the wrong thing !! 

frogpatch

• View Profile
    • Gary Cunnane
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
I agree with Mart. (Give her air!) I do not think that was a blanket chest but a dough box with a bread board top. Store on the inside and knead on the top. It would be at comfortable working height. I can't tell from the pictures but are the sides made of single wide boards or a couple boards glued together. How are the corners joined? Generally old pieces are made of six boards and are dovetailed. This of course would depend on the skill and tools that the maker had and what wood was available to him.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:25:10 pm »
LOL !!  Even a blind squirrel gets a nut occassionally, Frogpatch !!!

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
Well, i can say absolutely this is not a blanket chest. Blanket chests often have a ditty or glove box within but are never divided like this chest is.

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 04:56:29 pm »
I agree that it is a dough box. Are there nails on it or just screws? From what I can see, it looks mid-19th century, maybe 1860 or so? Anybody else have any opinions? Detailed pictures of nails and screws would help a lot. I love it though, it's beautiful and very primitive!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 09:28:16 am »
I wonder what the Roman Numerals "VII" and "IX" mean? That it was made in 1879?  :D

In any case, it is very handsome, with lots of that elusive "character" that folks prize.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 09:32:03 am »
I wondered about that too !!  Its a nice primitive piece !! I love stuff like this,, hand made and built to be used not just looked at !!

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:37 am »
That hand forged "snipe" hinge would make me think early 1800's.