Author Topic: Serving Tray  (Read 1603 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Serving Tray
« on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:09 pm »
Ok have no clue how to describe this other than serving tray.  As you can see, there is some damage to the backside - moisture or damage.  It does not however show through.  The background of the design looks hand painted as you can see black brush strokes.
I started to take pics inside last night and of course, lighting is terrible.  I carefully took it apart thinking the backing was just that, the backing.  But the design is painted right onto that paper which is really brittle and I ended up creating a small tear.
When I went to take pics outside today in better light, I did not want to chance any further damage.
Please excuse glare on the glass.

I am curious is anyone knows approximate age, style.  I can't imagine much value with the small rip now and the water stained back - but still curious   ::)

Thanks again.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Serving Tray
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 07:51:51 pm »
I would say its a 40`s era serving tray !! I had to laugh when reading your description and before the pics were up,,because I had a similar one with the same problem except mine was a metal frame !!  I knew what it was before the pics were up !!  You did say the design was painted on the backing ?? I tossed it and lined mine with a fabric !!  Yours does not look that bad from the front so I would just cut a second backing to go over the original one just to cover the damage and make it look cleaner and leave the front as it is !!  Hint,,,shirt gift boxes work great for this !! Its thin enough to fit easily and you can still use the old nails !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »
Thanks Mart - good suggestion!!  No it doesn't show on the actual design - just the back.  You think another $10 item?  I think the metal on the handles are brass.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:37 pm »
Probably is brass but don`t clean it !!  Makes it look older !! There again,, add some wiggle room !! Say $20. !!  Remember you can always come down,, but you can`t go up !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »
Mart, funny thing...I had a friend who owned an antique store and if something didn't sell.....after awhile he would raise the price.....low and behold it would!  Go figure!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:52 am »
If you price some things too cheap only a dealer or picker will "snatch" it up.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 06:21:23 am »
You are right !!  Cheap price=cheap item to some !!  Its just the way people are !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:42:39 am »
Thanks for the info and tips everyone!  I also know that some people place "value" in the "price".  We have a free used clothing "store" for women in our building and I have been told that even if we charged a quarter or 50 cents for certain items, we would get more interest from the community.  If we set up as a thrift store rather than free items, we would actually see much more activity.  Interesting isn't it?