Author Topic: Need help with old book!  (Read 3182 times)

Oldat26

• View Profile
Need help with old book!
« on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »
Hi all,

I have a book a few years now and its been sitting in a box on top of the press, but today I seen it and thought I see can I find out about it...

It's called " SHAKSPEARS PLAYS VOL.VIII " and thats not my spelling mistake, its how it's spelt on the book, Its missing the E from Shakespears...

If anyone can help me out, Its a green hard back thats got some embossed flower design's

the date on it is MDCCCXLI (1841)........

mart

• View Profile
Re: Need help with old book!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:14:55 pm »
Can you post pics please ?? Need to see the book, front and binding as well as the page that has publishing info !!

Oldat26

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 06:29:20 pm »
Can you post pics please ?? Need to see the book, front and binding as well as the page that has publishing info !!

Hope this helps.

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:19:02 pm »
I am not making this up when I tell you that about two years ago, I actually tried to sell one volume from that same set for a client. Mine was in terrible condition and I don't think it even sold. My memory's fuzzy on the details.

Book prices are down right now. The spine is damaged, the title page shows water damage, and I'm going to guess that you will find mildew on some of the pages as well. Judging from the letters on the spine, I'm guessing it was a library book. It's not worth much I'm afraid. Being an incomplete part of the set, you would have to find a buyer missing that exact volume, and hope that the rest of the set is in similar condition.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:16:33 am »
That sums it up. Ex-library cuts down alot on value right off the top.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

Oldat26

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:30 am »
I am not making this up when I tell you that about two years ago, I actually tried to sell one volume from that same set for a client. Mine was in terrible condition and I don't think it even sold. My memory's fuzzy on the details.

Book prices are down right now. The spine is damaged, the title page shows water damage, and I'm going to guess that you will find mildew on some of the pages as well. Judging from the letters on the spine, I'm guessing it was a library book. It's not worth much I'm afraid. Being an incomplete part of the set, you would have to find a buyer missing that exact volume, and hope that the rest of the set is in similar condition.

Hi Rockandrollrods, The spine is damaged and looks like it was repaired before, theres a page from another book inside it...

Them spots on the picture above is as bad as it gets, theres no mildew on any of the pages...

As for price, I did'nt think it was worth anything its just that its a 170 years old book and couldent find anything about it. Also the miss spelling of shakespear is throughout the book so I just thought it was interesting.

I got it from a movie set, The Tudors I think from when I was working in film production. It was getting binned and it seemed a shame to see a book that old meet its end in a land fill.

Thanks for the info.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 08:43:00 am »
Its worth keeping !! I found one dealer in the UK that offered another volume in same series for 5.00 GBP !!  However it said nothing about the misspelling !!  Why not take it to a bookseller and ask them !! Couldn`t find anything about the spelling error !!

rockandrollrods

• View Profile
    • My Biz
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:42:27 am »

Hi Rockandrollrods, The spine is damaged and looks like it was repaired before, theres a page from another book inside it...

Them spots on the picture above is as bad as it gets, theres no mildew on any of the pages...

As for price, I did'nt think it was worth anything its just that its a 170 years old book and couldent find anything about it. Also the miss spelling of shakespear is throughout the book so I just thought it was interesting.

I got it from a movie set, The Tudors I think from when I was working in film production. It was getting binned and it seemed a shame to see a book that old meet its end in a land fill.

Thanks for the info.
[/quote]

As for a conversation piece I love it! I would keep it from getting trashed as well.
Take every price I say with a grain of salt...

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:04:15 am »
A 100+ year old book on "Shakspeare" is worth keeping, just 'cause it's cool. And, like you said, a good conversation piece.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 04:45:19 pm »
For display it is even worth something....especi ally to a decorator.

Books are used as is or converted into everything these days!!!

I would hold on to it!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!