Author Topic: Antique Silver Belt with symbols ( hand flower number 18 and swastika )  (Read 1897 times)

jadedandTraded

• View Profile
So I recently found this in a thrift shop. I thought it was really unique and I want to learn more about it. I have serched but I only get newer belts etc ( google shops clutter ). I am posting some pics - Its is silver ( as far as I can tell) solid all around, has a very unique clasp in the front to open and close belt, has floral etchings, and on the back of the belt has some interesting symbols one is a hand pointing to the right another is like a flower symbol with the number 18 inside of it ( the size maybe? ), the last is a swastika but it looks as if someone carved it in there at a later date to cover up another symbol. If anyone knows anything about this belt and or its symbols I would really love to know anything at all.

mart

• View Profile
You got me !! I haven`t seen anything like it !!  Am sure curious though !! It does look like something was scratched off and the swastika added !! We had other posts here about the swastika used in the U.S. as a friendship sign in the past !!  Seems like it was something to do with a state park in Washington state,, but don`t hold me to that !!  Could have been somewhere else !!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 03:27:44 pm by mart »

sapphire

• Without direction, we are lost.
    • View Profile
jaded do those 'balls' jingle?  The swastika symbol is still used in Hindu and Buddhist cultures. Just the 'look' of the belt gives me a sense of East India.

BTW......Welcome to the forum! ;)

mart

• View Profile
Not sure but I think that 18 is the size !! Measure and see !!

jadedandTraded

• View Profile
So the size around is 27" - kinda makes me feel like 18 doesn't make sense now to be the size. It has 4 holes to adjust the size in the back so it could be as small as 26" and as large as 29".

The Balls do not jingle at all - and they are woven very tightly together by thin silver wire.

I have read up on the history of the swastika in eastern cultures as well as for native american cultures. This one is definitely fointing the direstion of the nazi symbol however could still be an eastern civilization symbol.

The belt really gives off a feel of middle ages but seems too sophisticated for that?

I really wish I knew what symbol was originally under there!

* I'm excited to join the forum! Thanks! *

Jade

micksart

Hi Jade,
 Odd the way things go......I have a belt with similar closure, possibly silver. I've been researching for over a year and recently found 5 others on line. Yesterday I joined here and today......I find your post. I have found silver belts with round closures and the body of the belts made of chain or some kind of links. I was hoping to find more info at this site as well but I'm happy to share with you what I know so far. I have found that my belt is from south India 19th century. These links show the bells/beads very much like your belt and they have the same clasp except round I believe. This is something I also found....
This waist belt from Southern India was characteristically worn by young maidens
from wealthy homes. It formed a part of their customary dress which included a skirt
tied at the waist, a blouse and a contrasting half-sari, usually in 3 contrasting colors.
The waist belt is tied over the half-sari to fix in in place, as the young girls play around,
unmindful of their half-sari flying around.
Now of course other ares around the world could have made belts of the same. I've researched the art work on mine to determine more info. If those beads are not a sure thing that this comes from India. Take a look at the flower, it may be symbolic.
Hope this helped
Mick

Here are some links:
http://wovensouls.com/Main-pages/Antique-Jewelry-Gallery.html    
http://www.jewelofthelotus.com/jewelstore/catalogsearch/result/?q=silver+belt&x=24&y=5
http://wovensouls.com/Detail-pages/s143.html
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 06:46:00 pm by micksart »

mart

• View Profile
See !! You never know where you will find help !!  Welcome to the forum Micksart !! Glad to have someone with info !!

micksart

Me again. Thanks Mart  :)
I just found this as well....look down the right hand side of page. My belt has no markings just art. This is why I have found the art work to have so much meaning.
Mick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaishnavism