Author Topic: Edwin Knowles Platter  (Read 1213 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Edwin Knowles Platter
« on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:27 pm »
This platter is in really good shape with no chips or crazing.  If I am dating it correctly it would be from 1921.  It measures 11" by 15 1/2"  The only thing I have noticed is that the gold trim is rubbed off around most of the edge.  The intersting thing is that under the rim, on the backside, there is remnants of color as if it had also been painted on the back.  At first I thought maybe the platter was stuck to newspaper or something while being stored but they do not come off.  There are 4 small spots of color on the backside.  Not sure if it is a flaw during manufacturing?  Hmmm

Of course I am trying to find a way to describe the pattern  ::), possible value etc.

mart

• View Profile
Re: Edwin Knowles Platter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:09 am »
That square like design is a variation of the Greek Key design !! Egyptians and Chinese also used a similar pattern !! So I would just say that it had a greek key, scroll, and floral border with gold edge !!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:28 pm »
Thanks Mart!!  Yes I am just getting back to this stuff after a busy week.  If you look at the color that is on the backside under the rim - it matches the design - so would that be an imperfection of some sort?  There are 3 or 4 of those spots and I am just trying to figure out what might have caused it.  I don't know anything about how they are manufactured   ::)

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »
Maybe the better question - is how do I explain or describe that in a listing?