Author Topic: Defect or damage in Wedgwood & Co. Toureen?  (Read 1626 times)

kidden6968

• View Profile
Defect or damage in Wedgwood & Co. Toureen?
« on: August 09, 2012, 07:16:14 pm »
Ok this is one of those things that I don't know how to determine.  I have this toureen/casserole dish that is Wedgwood & Co. Royalstone China.  I haven't been able to date the mark.  So I have learned from everyone that every little thing needs to be inspected.  On first glance this has no chips, breaks, repairs etc.  It looked in perfect shape.  Then I get really looking at it from every angle and see a few small round stains inside - as if there were bubbles in glaze maybe?  Not sure that is accurate.  

Also there is a mark on the side that is rough as if something scraped the glaze etc. off and then the handles as I show them in the pics.  

So I guess my questions are: Does anyone know approximate date?  And would these marks be damages (caused by what I don't know) or manufacturing defects?

If I choose to list this I just want to describe it correctly and be able to price it correctly.  Thanks again as always.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:26:57 am by kidden6968 »

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Defect or damage?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »
3 more pics

kidden6968

• View Profile
Re: Defect or damage?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:47:22 pm »
Burns maybe?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Defect or damage in Wedgwood & Co. Toureen?
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 08:43:41 am »
Is it the same on both handles or just one ?? Looks more like that side was touching something that was rusted or stained in some way !! Rust can penetrate the glaze and permanently stain it !! Copper items can too !!  Takes a long time but it could have sat in contact with something like that over the years !!  Doesn`t look like a particularly old piece and I would call it a covered vegetable dish !! Looks a little shallow for a tureen !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:18 am »
I'd call it a casserole dish, ca. 1940s or 50s.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:25:13 pm »
There is a picture of each handle - that's what was wierd and the surface is real rough there - know the pics aren't great.  Then there is that other elongated mark on the side.  Hmmmm but definitely damage then and not just a defect - think I will just be keeping this piece then LOL   Thanks everyone

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »
That elongated mark could well be a mfg defect !!