Author Topic: Lionel Toy Train Poster  (Read 1698 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Lionel Toy Train Poster
« on: August 02, 2012, 07:04:47 am »
This was left my the people that owned the house before my parents bought it. My dad tried to take it down once and tore it on the lower right side (visible in photo). The guy across the street from me is a model train  enthusiast and said that this poster is collectible because it shows a pink train engine that was made for girls to play with in the late 50s. However, he added that because of the tear and also he thinks it was cut off at the bottom (to fit in the wall space), and is attached to the wall with numerous thumb tacks, this seriously detracts from the price. I can't get to it to measure it accurately - there a huge train table in front of it the owner left when he moved, but I think it at least 5 feet long and 3 feet high. Any ideas what it might be worth in this condition?

mart

• View Profile
Re: Lionel Toy Train Poster
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:58:55 pm »
It looks like late 40`s or 50`s era from the hairstyles ect !!  There are so many train collectors that you should have no trouble selling it !! Even with the damage but it will not make as much as if in good condition !! To get the thumbtacks out take a butter knife and ease it in from the edge till you are next to the tack, by pressing toward the wall and working it a bit you should be able to get it under the tack and just twist up to loosen it  !! Take the bottom and sides out first then the top inside tacks, leave the top two corners and one in the middle till last. Then you can roll it up as you take the last ones out !! Might get someone else to roll while you remove the tacks !!  I would check with some collector forums for a price !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
Looks like late 50s alright. I like the Ward Cleaver-style dad with the pipe!

That pink train has to be incredibly rare; I've never even heard of it before. Too bad about the rips and tears; they will indeed detract from the value.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that value might be. Perhaps a true auction with no reserve would let the market set the price. Either that, or find a model train website and post a pic there.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

ikeithireland

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:55:23 am »
Very cool poster!! and no i dont think its cut off at the bottom, see how everything is in perspective and aligned to the center, that ad is complete.

ikeithireland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 03:02:07 am »
and i did some quick checking, the ad is either 57 or 58, only 2 years the pink train was available, and the pic is the Lionel full line pic from the catalog and is complete.