Author Topic: Framed Reverse Painting on Glass  (Read 1570 times)

debodun

• View Profile
Framed Reverse Painting on Glass
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:45 am »
This scene was painted on the glass, then framed. The outer dimensions are 31" x 26". I hadn't thought of selling it until someone that came to a garage sale I had and saw it hanging on the wall. I told him that my mother bought it 25 years ago and paid over $100 for it. He sighed and rolled his eyes and said the painting itself is virtually worthless, but it had a nice frame and he'd give me $20 for the piece. I turned down his offer. I think it is worth a lot more than $20. Am I right or is the other person?

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
Re: Framed Reverse Painting on Glass
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
Unless you have a signature that we can try and search...chances are they have told you right.  Reverse painting was a big craze in that time period - in fact I tried my hand at it exactly 27 years ago (maybe someone has my item and it is now very valuable!)  :)

Nice painting!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

debodun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:14 am »
Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't notice any markings, unfortunately.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:04:25 am »
Value on these can vary greatly with the experience of the artist, and how framed !! As a rule,, the frames are usually the better of the two !! I have seen some by known artists that are signed bring good money but I don`t think that is the case for your painting !! I see no great technique, and it was likely not in that frame originally !! However putting the both together would still bring $100. to $150. because many people like them !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:52:51 am »
What are the dimensions?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
Outer dimensions 31X26 and frame is at least 4 in.  my guess !! So its small !!