Author Topic: Bed Frame from LC & WL Cron Co - how "antique" is it?  (Read 8020 times)

cogar

• View Profile
Re: Bed Frame from LC & WL Cron Co - how "antique" is it?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 02:51:52 am »
Use the “linen” setting, the iron has to be hot.

Like ironing a shirt, …. iffen you want to leave the iron lying flat on the shirt while you go talk on the telephone, then do it.

That’s why one uses a damp cloth when ironing (actually called “pressing” I believe) most anything that is per say “delicate”. The cloth will scorch or burn before the underlying material will.

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 06:23:21 am »
"is there such a thing as post-Nouveau/pre-Deco?"

There were a couple of things on the ascendency in furniture design during the period of ca. 1905-1920 in the U.S. One was the craftsman style as exemplified by Gustave Stickley and the other was neoclassicism, which marked a return to more formal and disciplined classical design as influenced by the Ecole de Beaux-Arts and as a reaction to the "excesses" of the arts in the Victorian era.

Furniture from this time period is usually - but not always - oak.

"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »
There were at least 4 or 5 styles going on around that period so take your pick !! There was no cut and dried time period for any of them !! Many flowed into each other !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 03:20:29 pm »
"There were at least 4 or 5 styles going on around that period"

AT least? Let's hear about them!

And yes, edges are fuzzy but most years are more marked by one characteristic style than another.

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:09:37 pm »
Well,, lets see during the late Victorian era there was what is typically known as Victorian style, the arts & Crafts period was from about 1860 to roughly 1915, the art nouveau and art deco period 20`s and 30`s and mixed in with all that were the revival styles empire, jacobean, chippendale, queen anne etc,, etc,, !! Most of which lasted through the 30`s !! So its really hard to put a timeline on any of them !!  And on top of all that the west coast had spanish revival !!

Evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 03:21:32 am »
Okay, lemme see if I've got this right...

Neoclassicism -
Started with the Renaissance in other areas; but didn't reach furniture until about the start of the 19th century. Once there, however, it stuck around until at least the early 20th century. (If I'm not mistaken, Revival, Empire, Jacobean, Chippendale, Queen Anne are all sub-groups under the Neoclassical heading.) Neoclassicism may be showing up in my bed's simple lines and clean curves.

Victorian -
1840-something to 1905-ish. Heavy, highly ornamented, intricately detailed. Someone who didn't particularly care for this style might say that its worst excesses seem to be what happened when mass production hit Rococo. Someone who didn't particularly care for this style but did own my bed might admit to seeing a possible Victorian influence in a slight heaviness to the bed's overall shape, but that's about as far as she'd be willing to go.

Arts & Crafts style -
Started mid-19th century, was partially subsumed into Art Nouveau in the late 19th & early 20th centuries, and then largely surpassed by Art Deco in the 1920's - 1940's. What I'll call the "graceful utilitarianism" of my bed's overall design would be in keeping with the "form follows function" principle underlying the entire Arts & Crafts Movement.

Art Nouveau -
Started late 19th century, continued into 1920's or so. My bed's gracefully scrolling legs & feet seem to reflect the "whiplash" line characteristic of Art Nouveau.

Art Deco -
1920's through 1940's. Neoclassicism for the machine/atomic age, often influenced by then-freshly-(re)discovered Egyptian antiquities. The simple, "streamlined' lines of my bed could Neoclassicism showing up in Art Deco.

So, my bed show Neoclassical, Arts &Crafts, & Art Nouveau influences. I think I'll stick to calling the bed's style "post-Nouveau," at least to myself, not least because I like the oxymoron-wordplay of it. :)
I'm not old.  I'm Mid-Century Modern.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 05:57:27 am »
If I put a particular style for your bed I would say late Empire Revival,, Heavy roll at top as well as scroll foot !! The overall look of the bed with the solid head and footboard and roll has a heavy appearance as were many pieces from that style !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:41 am »
I think that neoclassical will do just fine!

-Broderick Crawford

Evelyn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 03:58:48 pm »
Okay, so not so my "post-Nouveau;" maybe closer to  "Able was I ere I saw Elba" -
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:San_Martino_-_Napoleons_Haus_Bett.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:17-6-09-Villa_san_Martino_(23).JPG

My bed could be a simplified style based on this bed from Napoleon's house on Elba - I was startled to see the similarities in the flat, veneered bodies of the head- and footboards. (Not sure if this was actually Napoleon's bed; but, unless my sense of proportion is off, whoever slept in it was either very short or very uncomfortable.)

Empire Revival also seems to date to the mid-to-late 19th century, which seems to correspond to when LC & WL Cron were making furniture under that name.

Maybe I'll have a try at getting the label off of its side rail today, in the hope of then being able to clean it up enough to maybe get a date off of it - assuming, of course, that I don't destroy it in the process...  :-\
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:01:44 pm by Evelyn »
I'm not old.  I'm Mid-Century Modern.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2012, 05:15:00 pm »
http://archive.org/stream/cataloguelc00lcwl#page/n1/mode/2up
Here is their 1898 catalogue !! If it isn`t in here see if they have later editions !! I am thinking your bed was made after 1900 but check and see !!

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 05:29:14 pm »
Evelyn, steam off, dry dish towel in between and medium heat.
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:37 pm »
Right KC !!