Author Topic: Early 1900's "The Doctor" Porcelain Capodimonte?  (Read 1835 times)

KevinM

• View Profile
Early 1900's "The Doctor" Porcelain Capodimonte?
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:09:26 pm »
This is an early 1900's (I think) Capodimonte which I think is named "The Doctor" that I purchased from the thrift store last week. It has the variation of the crown over N mark that was used by some companies from the 1920's to modern day. This is not the original crown and Neopolitan N Capodimonte mark used by the Royal Factory.

On the bottom of the Capodimonte there is also the roman numerals XIV embedded into the bottom. What I wanted to know is if anyone knows if the XIV represents the year it was made? In this case it would be 1914 if that is what it means? Also, who was the company that made this Capodimonte?

This Capodimonte is almost 10 inches in height and the base is just under 5 inches in width. There is also the number 29 impressed into the bottom just above the XIV mark.

I have seen 1 other Capodimonte that is like this but it did not have the roman numerals and the bottom where the circular hole is did not have a expanded rim or cupping to it like this one does.

Thanks for any help!
Kevin

" width="705" height="2169" border="0

JoshandLila

• View Profile
Re: Early 1900's "The Doctor" Porcelain Capodimonte?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 09:17:25 pm »
He looks like a character outta Alice in Wonderland!! For some reason Im thinking its a mid century piece or later but I could be wrong, they XIV is probably  the mold number where it was cast, dont think the date wouldnt be in Roman numerals
"Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe."
H. G. Wells

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:41 pm »
Thanks JoshandLila, I saw a show recently where the date was in roman numerals on the bottom of another porcelain early 1900's figurine with just the last two numbers of the date represented this way in roman numerals so I thought perhaps this one was also done that way.

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 06:47:19 am »
Kevin you made my day!    "This is not the original crown and Neopolitan N Capodimonte mark used by the Royal Factory." Most peole see that mark and think they have a piece by the Royal Factory.  Cool piece, I have not found your piece I did find an artist whos work looks close    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110904552185&item=110904552185&vectorid=229466

Try & contact this site to see if they can help  http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~feblan/capo/page45.html

let us know! ;)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:43:31 am »
Beat me to it wendy177!  Not made by the famous porcelain house!

Made me laugh!  Great artistic expression!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

KevinM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »
wendy177 thanks for the information. Although, it looks like that site charges $25 or £20 per piece to provide appraisal and valuation certificates and replacement estimates as stated on their contact page. I'm going to keep looking and try and avoid the fees.