Author Topic: Wooden Carved vase?  (Read 4596 times)

any88

• View Profile
Wooden Carved vase?
« on: August 24, 2012, 01:40:47 pm »
We have this for years. My mom bought it ate some yard sale in Croatia like 30 years ago. I dont even know if its was really a yard sale, we usually dont have stuff like this here.

Anyway, it has a larger chip on it unfortunately, but I want to hear what you think of this peace. The brighter part of the peace is obviously a carving. And im pretty sure its hand made just by looking at those little dents, hundreds of them.

Anything rings a bell? Whats weird is that it was a wide opening, but slims how to candle shaped / sized hole about an inch lower. Ive never seen that.

Thank you so much.

BTW - it is chipped, but full peace is here, and it can be glued back on with ease.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden Carved vase?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 02:41:33 pm »
It could be an Urn...for ashes
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »
This has been turned on a lathe as you can see the pin hole on the bottom... then the "dents" which would have been done using a carving chisel were applied

any88

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:11:40 pm »
sorry i have to ask this, but what does that indicate?  :)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:24:05 pm »
This started out as an oblong piece of wood,then it was fitted on to a wood turners lathe,then whilst it was spinning the turner would use a variety of chisels to carve out the shape, once the required shape was achieved,it would be removed from the lathe,then the light relief carving would be done by hand,the stippled effect.."dents"..were done using a rounded end chisel
hope this helps

any88

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »
thanks.

any clue on the age and potential value?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »
bigwull said it all !!  nice little folk art vase !!  value would depend on where you are !!  here in the US,, maybe $ 50. if it was perfect,, with damage,, $15. to $20.

any88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »
Im fine with that.

Ill fix that chip cuz i have the peace that fell off and Im gonna put it on ebay.

Yea, I am from Croatia but thankfully... peace is lite, and I can send it anywhere in Europe.

I just worry about what Im gonna put in the add. I feel like I need some more details.

Is there anything else to say about it, and would it be better to put on an auction, or just fixed price?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 07:41:19 pm »
not a lot you can put since you dont know who made it !! just be sure you tell about the chip and the repair or the buyer may want a refund !!

any88

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:32 pm »
I will.

I will also take good pictures of it, under the right light. Its best that everything is seen, so I would avoid what you just mentioned.

Thank you.

Just to ask you while you are here - do you know any good book or DVD i could get to learn more about antiques. Something for beginners. How to recognize fakes or reproductions and such.

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
Time and research is what is going to help you the most.  Stick to this site and you will learn lots quick!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 04:58:32 am »
I agree with KC - have learned so much on here - wonderful people with a world wind of knowledge.  I also want to start reading and learning more but there are so many types of antiques and probably thousands of books.  I imagine if it is a particular type of antique such as furniture, glass, pottery etc. you might be able to narrow it down to a couple thousand books  LOL

On a serious note though - this is the most active board I have ever encountered and there is a wealth of knowledge here - so stick around and you will start to pick up so much.   ;)

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 06:35:22 am »
This is a wonderful place to learn! As far as books Kidden is correct thousand even on one subject!! I just found 3 books on glass in a box in my cellar and it was like hitting the jackpot! As pieces of glass are no longer made & broken just to find a reference to a piece can be very difficult, but with books they have been recorded for all time. One book was Fenton Art Glass 1907-1939, And it contains photos and information on pieces I had never seen before!! the other 2 were  on Opalescent glass and I was really lucky to find one Art Nouevau book and 2 Art Deco  These contain many diffrent mediums form those times. Many of these books can be difficult to find So if you spot one on a subject you like grab it!! I honestly feel these books will become collectables and go up in value in time.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »
If you are looking for a good book, why not start with one of these,..they are fantastic value,..choc full of details pics and prices,and they come out yearly and as can been seen here...cheap as chips for back issues
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=miller+s+antiques+price+guide&_sacat=0

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 05:58:11 pm »
Miller's does put out a good guide I have several of them  :)