Author Topic: Laquered Box  (Read 1321 times)

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Laquered Box
« on: August 20, 2012, 04:19:20 pm »
Here is a little oblong box,that i gave my late mother,in the 1960,s,If my old brain serves me well, I picked it up at a jumble sale,...and just in case you guys in the US,don,t know what a jumble sale is,..it was a sale of S/H goods invariably held in a church hall,in aid of some charity...and as the name suggests, everything was jumbled up,...and sometime,s depending on what part of an item you grabbed hold of,...someone else could be on the other end...and then a tug of war would ensue,...and much cursing,..anyway,back to my box, its 12in long x 4in wide x 1/12in deep,..as you can see it is black with a flower arrangement and a butterfly,it weighs 6oz and i,m of the opinion that it is made of paper-mache,The flowers look to be hand painted,as they are slightly raised but the butterfly looks to have been added at a later date,because this is smooth,..and it looks like a transfer,your thoughts will be much appreciated,
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
Re: Laquered Box
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »
It could be a box for gloves, or for fans. It is hard to say for sure!
Antiqueaholic in recovery

wendy177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »
Bigwull I am liking you more everyday Going to the bar in Dundee, swinging & skinnin cats, cursing in the church hall  (hee hee) anywho Cute little box, butterfly does look transfer I can see an edge when I enlarge the photo, And agree with tales for gloves.

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:05:03 pm »
It is wider than most fan boxes, but there are some designed for feathered fans that are about 4".
Antiqueaholic in recovery

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:50:24 am »
I agree !! Looks like glove box,,,after laquering you can`t tell papier mache` from some woods !! So could be !!