Author Topic: Seidel and Naumann KI 14 sewing machine  (Read 3433 times)

any88

• View Profile
Seidel and Naumann KI 14 sewing machine
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:01 pm »
Hi. I have this sewing machine that is actually in pretty smooth working condition but has woodworm issues (not drastically)

I assume its from late 20s early 30s but i really cant find any info even tho i have the serial number

Im wondering.. How much could I get for this sewing machine, and do you know something about the age of it when you see that serial.- thank you.

[/QUOTE]

any88

• View Profile
Re: Seidel and Naumann KI 14 sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:27:39 pm »
Quote from: fE rencic iNa;40966451

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:00:49 pm »
This sewing machine is likely to be older than 1920you can check here,
http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/german2.htm..
.looking on ebay,the cast iron treadle mechanism sells for between $75 to $150 ish..the machine itself is only woth something to a collector,but its the metalwork that holds the value,..we had an old Singer treadle machine,and i dumped the machine and made the treadle into a table and used it as a hall table for many years
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:06:54 pm »
Before you do anything (like bring it into your house!) you'll want to determine if the wood worms are still present and active. Look for 'bore dust'. This is the leftovers the little guys leave behind when devouring your furniture. It could be that the machine was treated long ago and is just fine now. Here's some info on wood worms:

http://www.safeguardeurope.com/applications/woodworm.php
http://community.screwfix.com/thread/16813

and a treatment product
http://blog.ecosmart.com/index.php/2009/12/01/woodworm-treatment/

Here in the SF Bay Area of California, a fully functional (uninfested) sewing machine can bring about $200. A bargain hunter can find one for about $50 and sometimes even free. They are fabulous and parts are readily available on Ebay.

You say yours is in smooth working condition, but I can see that it is missing the belt. Moving up and down when turned doesn't mean it's working. You need to have all the parts including those in the shuttle/bobbin compartment of the machine head and be able to demonstrate that it can stitch two pieces of fabric together. Having the original cover ups the value here to about $200 if you put the time in to get it up and running.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

any88

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:13:42 pm »
thank you.

im from croatia, so im not sure what part is called "cast iron treadle mechanism"

can you please give me ebay links for those items?

if that cast iron treadle mechanism by itself is sold for that much, how much u think would a collector give for entire machine?

thanks

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 04:18:19 pm »
Maybe I should fill a container with old treadle sewing machines and send them to the US,..over here you can,t give them away...just last week at my local auction house there was 3 Singer treadle machines 2 were the flip over type with the ornate oak drawers on either side,in full working order, and the other was also a treadle with an ornate oak box cover,again this one had the ornate carved side drawers 2 on each side....they sold for ..1 @ £4..1 @ £6 and the one with the box cover £1...nobody wants them....just let me know how many you would like....

hosman321

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 04:25:32 pm »
Their value goes through fazes here in Washington State (USA). Sometimes you can't give them away, sometimes you can get $150 for them. If you find someone to give you $150 for the entire thing, take it! May be different in your country though, maybe they are rarer?

talesofthesevenseas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:33:16 pm »
I already have two handcranks circa 1870 and 1896 that I use for living history demonstrations and one treadle circa 1919, so I'm full-up! I do all of my sewing on the treadle and it is a delight. Quilters here especially love them because they offer a level of control you sacrifice with an electrified machine. It's only been in the last few years that they have been "rediscovered" by collectors and by people who want a decent machine that will last a lifetime, instead of a modern one with plastic internal parts that costs more to fix than it is worth. Electric machines from the 60's are good, well made machines as well. I went through two of those junky plastic ones before I got my treadle. I'll never go back to electric. When I do the living history demos people are blown away, they can't believe that something so old still works so well and how easy they are to operate! I put even the tinest kids on the treadle and the handcranks. It is funny but the kids catch on faster to the treadle than the adults. They don't try to drive it like a car and will respond correctly when the centrifugal force begins kicking in.
Antiqueaholic in recovery

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:43:55 pm »
thank you.

im from croatia, so im not sure what part is called "cast iron treadle mechanism"

can you please give me ebay links for those items?

if that cast iron treadle mechanism by itself is sold for that much, how much u think would a collector give for entire machine?

thanks
The treadle is where you put your feet,then rock them back/forwards which turns the wheel that has the "missing" belt that drives the cam of the machine that makes the needle go up and down...as for value..well as you are in Croatia...then you are faced with a limited market...because if you were to sell on ebay for instance, and the buyer...lived in the UK,or US, then postage costs could amount to more than the value...here in the UK,there are 10 a penny...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:18:40 pm »
one thing i will mention,, those treadle machines will sew much heavier fabrics than electrics do !! if i were you i would try to sell it locally,, relatively little collector value but worth a fair amount to a seamstress or someone that repairs canvas items tent makers ect !!