Author Topic: Need help identifying Mission Style Oak Library Table/Desk.  (Read 3266 times)

bradleymxz

• View Profile
Need help identifying Mission Style Oak Library Table/Desk.
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:20:33 pm »
I picked up this oak mission style library table/desk at a garage sale for $50. The lady said it was her grandmother's, whom was a librarian. I figured it had to be at least 1950s-1960s. I have been doing some research on it since it has no markings/maker/tag and I can't find anything. The only clue I have is there is a number on the bottom of the drawer. I took a picture of it. It says "I862". I thought it may be a Limbert since it looks most similar to Limbert. I don't think it is "1862", since it is in such nice shape. The top measures 42in x 26in. and it is 29in. high. It has one drawer. I can't find any with the similar spindel piece. It is in very nice condition and seems like it isn't that old, but it has square nuts and mostly nails, and the drawer pieces are notched together. Not sure what kind of oak it is, the front right leg seems to be tiger oak. It is a very heavy/sturdy/quality piece, I can't imagine it being some cheapo piece from somewhere. Any info would greatly be appreciated, I have spent enough hours looking for a similar one.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:23:24 pm by bradleymxz »

Rauville

• View Profile
Re: Need help identifying Mission Style Oak Library Table/Desk.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 04:34:59 pm »
Every furniture manufacturer was offering something similar to this at one time or another. That "1862" number would refer to a style number rather than a date. Most of them would date back to the first few decades of the 20th Century. The majority of them were well made, but relatively inexpensive when new, and remain so today. You have a nice appearing desk, but $50 to $125 would probably be a fair value.

I've got a Limbert signed desk sitting here, and truthfully...there's no comparison to the "mail order catalog" models. All you have to do is lift one corner to find out that it weighs at least twice as much.

jacon4

• collector/ student of early american furniture
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 06:22:42 pm »
This is not a period arts & crafts piece made by Stickley or Limbert & others during the early 20th century . Period pieces of this style/era are not made from rotary sawn oak but rather from quarter sawn oak. This is most likely a 1950-60s style piece.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »
i have a similar desk that my TV is sitting on !! just different side pieces !!  the one you have is pretty common and like everyone said 50 or 60`s era !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:36:48 pm »
Quarter sawn oak alright, but I'd go a little earlier on the date.

A nice, solid piece and a great value for $50.00.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:27:44 am »
Agree you got your money's worth.  Nice piece that will be around for a long time!
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!