Author Topic: (1940's?) Japanese celluloid figurine appraisal  (Read 4752 times)

VanGateau

(1940's?) Japanese celluloid figurine appraisal
« on: September 02, 2012, 02:07:02 pm »
Hi again. I was given these celluloid figurines by my grandmother around 8 years ago. Since then they've been collecting a vast amount of dust on a shelf in my room. However, I think they deserve better than this :P I dated them around the 1940's or later, but I could be wrong.That is based off a vague guess.
I'm thinking I'd like to sell these to either a private buyer or an antique shop of sorts, but I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea how much they are worth/ how much I should ask for them. Any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated :) Picture attached.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: (1940's?) Japanese celluloid figurine appraisal
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 04:50:35 pm »
pardon my ignorance,but what do you mean they are made of celluloid,????
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

VanGateau

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 05:12:00 pm »
"A transparent flammable plastic made in sheets from camphor and nitrocellulose, formerly used for cinematographic film."
 Just a type of plastic I  suppose. The term celluloid defines those specific types of figurines

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 05:20:24 pm »
they do not look like celluloid,, however they may be resin that is mixed with ground bone !! try the hot pin test on the bottom and see if it melts and goes in !!  then you will know if they are a type of plastic or resin !!  could be carved bone,, if  so the pin will not go in !!  they are very finely detailed !!

VanGateau

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 06:13:54 pm »
I'll try that. I know they're not carved bone for two reasons: 1) the bull pulling the cart has a seam of plastic on it's back that has split open, with some kind of powdery, rocky substance underneath, and 2) two of the figures are identical in shape, detail, and character features leading me to believe that it was a mold.

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 06:24:14 pm »
Mould...thats how resin is used, it starts out as a liquid,to which a hardener is added then its poured into a mould,when it sets its removed,from the mould, and any flash,is removed...

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 07:26:42 pm »
then they are likely poly resin and may be later than 40`s !!  still i think they are very nice !!  i havent seen any on ebay that small !!

VanGateau

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 08:12:52 pm »
Thanks! Anybody have any idea how much I should sell them for?

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:33 am »
looked at several quite similar on ebay,UK that also lists these as celluloid early to mid 1900`s,, just not sure how correct that is !!  also one that had a shell shaped one like the two you have that says carved oxbone !! so you may have two types !!  neither was particularly expensive,, little over $10. ea.  i would say that is about right,, but the boat,, go a little more !!  might be a hard sell though !! collectability is the key to how well they will sell !!

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 09:02:14 am »
As Mart says, its all down to collectability....o r if there,s two after something that they want...you never know with ebay...it can be a fickle place.....like what happened to me yesterday....i,d listed a glass chimney for an oil lamp...start price £4.99...with 12 secs left and no bids, i thought that,s it,its not selling...then within 6 secs it was up to £16..+ £3.75 postage....so you never know whats going to happen...

VanGateau

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 08:53:58 pm »
Thanks all :)

KC

• Forever Blessed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 10:29:44 pm »
Where did your Grandmother get them?  Were they special to her?
I'm from the South - but please don't mistake my Southern Manners/Accent/Charm as a weakness!

VanGateau

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 05:20:29 pm »
My late grandfather gave them to her for one of her birthdays. I'm not sure where he got them from. I'm also not entirely sure they were all that special to her, as she was going to throw them away (she was downsizing). I offered to take them instead.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:14 pm »
i think they are quite nice !!  doesn`t have to be expensive for me !!  i just like the look and the detail !!

VanGateau

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 10:58:31 pm »
Yeah, a lot of the ones that I saw on ebay and other websites were not nearly as detailed (color etc.) as the ones here