Author Topic: Ginger Jar  (Read 5033 times)

ghopper1924

• View Profile
Re: Ginger Jar
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »
I think that cow's related to my dog  ;D
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 04:27:51 pm »
Wow ok I just got in from a decent sale day - woo hoo and saw all the replies.  I am going to try and catch up here.  There is no insert.  The picture looking down into the bottom of the jar is straight in  - yes i did clean the inside but it was merely dusty although the bottom looks like black tarry residue and I couldn't reach all the way to the bottom - even with a dishrag on the end of the longest wooden spoon I had  LOL.  There does not seem to be any residue on the remainder of the inside.  There is also no odor at all as I would think there would be if it had been used to burn incense.

That is what I found interesting about the "crazing" it only appears on the roses - the top piece and the base.  But not sure that it would show on the rest of the jar.

Would an urn for ashes be this big and have a vented top?

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 04:56:15 pm »
You do get Urns that are quite tall, i have my mother and fathers remains in one,and it stands 15in tall,...but now that you,ve said that the vented part is also connected to the main body...then..i doubt that its an urn, just as it can,t be a ginger jar,as KC said....it could be an unused incense burner....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

kidden6968

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 07:29:43 pm »
Wow really big incense burner but there does seem to be black tarry stuff on bottom although I can't quite get to it and no other residue anywhere.

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 08:39:41 am »
i have had the same thing happen by putting rubber items in a vase then storing in Texas heat !!  it is not an incense burner !! potpourri,, more likely but haven`t seen them that large either !!  i think just a decorative piece !!