Author Topic: China Cabinet  (Read 1679 times)

IronMaiden

• View Profile
China Cabinet
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:35:22 pm »

This is a photo of a china cabinet my ex husband and I bought at a household sale of a neighbor about 21 years ago. At the time, we paid $40 for it. The seller told us it was "depression era".

It's been very well taken care of and has virtually no wear and tear on it, except a little bit at the feet. It's completely intact and still smells glorious inside. I can find no markings on it aside from a faded black stamp of some letters on the back. Any info would greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

By the way, I am in Pennsylvania. I honestly did try to look up this piece of furniture online, but since I know next to nothing about antiques, I am completely dumbfounded.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:38:43 pm by IronMaiden »

cogar

• View Profile
Re: China Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 02:05:22 pm »
That's what it is called, .... Depression furniture because it was produced during the Depression years.

And there were scads of companies that produced it.

Just Google "images" for ..... Depression furniture ??????? (china cabinet, table, hutch, etc.)

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:33 pm »
Your china cabinet is indeed of that era !! Made in the Jacobean Revival style and likely in walnut wood !!  As was said many companies made this style in more variations than you can count !! Still its a nice one and should last for years to come if reasonable care is given !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 05:27:44 am »
Yep, Jacobethan with Deco ornament, 1930s vintage, walnut.  In Missouri it might bring $100-$150, and well worth the $40 you paid for it back then.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

IronMaiden

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 03:49:35 pm »
Thanks so much for this info! It helps me kind of start to research it a bit. cogar, I did search depression furniture online, and found similar styles, but nothing with these particular ornamentations. Now that I know the term "Jacobean Revival", I can discover just what that means, LOL! And as I said, I know nothing at all about antiques so I wasn't really sure where to start aside from "depression era".

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:29 pm »
You can look for years and likely not run across another like this !! Many have been tossed in the junk pile !! Every company that was producing made a variation of this cabinet !!  When researching furniture you deal with generalities rather than specifics !! Unless it is top quality period furniture !!  Yours was mass produced for the common working folk  !! My grandmother had one similar as did many others !!