Author Topic: Help Identifying this cabinet  (Read 3845 times)

mart

• View Profile
Re: Help Identifying this cabinet
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:13 pm »
Well this piece may have passed through Pennsylvania at some point but I don`t think it was made there !! And I can only give my opinion on this,,,I think it was made in either the UK or France and was likely shipped here back in the 70`s or 80 `s when anything antique was selling like mad and was brought in by shiploads !!  Here is my reasoning,,, this style was popular here in 20`s and 30`s but the construction on yours says its earlier !!  Styles were later reaching the US than those above !! Neoclassical ornamentation was not common here at the same time this style cabinet was,,, same goes for the block foot !!  And yours looks to have been gilded at one time and it has long since faded and cracked !! Either that or it was painted !!  Again,, timeline is wrong for this style cabinet !!
Gotta rest my wrist a while !!

ghopper1924

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:20:47 am »
Good point Mart. It may indeed be Euro made. The dovetails, for one, do not look to have that 1930s machine made construction that was ubiquitious in the U.S. by then.
"I collect antiques because they're beautiful."

-Broderick Crawford

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 07:17:39 am »
I used to buy from a company that did dip stripping late 70`s and 80`s !! You would be surprised what was bought there for a few dollars and sold here for much more !! I made some good buys when I had my shop !!  Much just needed a little tightening up or small repairs !! There is still a lot of it around here !!  They literally flooded the market here !!  And if you put the word "antique" on anything it would sell quick !!