Author Topic: Pre-Historic Ax  (Read 8764 times)

sreyomac

• View Profile
Re: Pre-Historic Ax
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2012, 06:40:09 pm »
To cool!  I'm jealous about Antique road show! ;D

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »
Lol, you should see when they are in your area. Go to their website. Check with the tickets. They maybe free. You could take your statue!
" Energy and Persistence conquer all things."

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 06:05:35 am »
10 in. would be a big one !!

cogar

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 06:41:25 am »
Bigwull, I interpreted “pre-historic” as meaning “before history”. And given the fact it was in reference to a “tool” that was fashioned by a member of the Homo genus, specifically a Homo sapien or human, then pre-historic would literally mean ….. before the history of humans. Thus, a “pre-historic human tool” would be an oxymoron. The 1st word negates the 2nd two words.

And Bigwull, that was a scientific fact, they really can’t date stone or flint. Just like they can’t date Stonehenge via the stones that were used for its construction. They actually estimate a date for Stonehenge via Radiocarbon testing of the contents of the soil around and underneath of those stones.   

Stone and flint tools are also dated via Radiocarbon testing if they are found in an undisturbed location. But that doesn’t tell them how old the actual tool is, only when it was deposited there. 

Stone and flint tools are also dated via their specific shapes based on literally thousands of other “finds”. For instance, the Clovis Point was first found in 1929 in the US southwest, from where it gets its name, Clovis, New Mexico. To wit:

In early 2009 a major Clovis cache, now called the Mahaffey Cache, was found in Boulder, Colorado, with 83 Clovis stone tools. The tools were found to have traces of horse and cameloid protein. They were dated to 13,000 to 13,500 YBP, a date confirmed by sediment layers in which the tools were found and the types of protein residues found on the artifacts.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clovis_point 

Bigwull, I found my spear point with my bulldozer … when I “cut” away about 1 ½ feet of soil it was buried under. Another ¼” deeper and it really would have been history.  ;D  I called the College, the Prof asked where I lived, and he was there within 40 minutes. After looking it over very carefully, and the place I uncovered it, he told me all sorts of things about it, including the 10K date.

Bigwull, “dated” artifacts are only good ……until they find another one that is older.

Bigwull, check this out, it’s in your “backyard”.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:53 am »
Similar thing happened here in our county with a bulldozer !! About a half mile behind my parents farm a man was clearing land for pasture and along a small creek made a swipe with the dozer and uncovered half of an indian  !!  He stopped work and called  NTSU who did the research and completed the dig !!  Odd thing was it was not a typical Caddo burial !! They thought an accident or something similar led to his being in an odd place rather than a mound burial !!

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:44 am »
Yes mart, that what they were saying. The biggest they ever saw, lol Thanks for the info Wullie. I'm very interested in that subject. There was just a special on History channel that was fascinating. They were explaining why they found Japanese chards in South America. There were larger land masses back then and it was easier to take a boat from one continent to another. They were saying that archeologist felt that American Indians were really Europeans that traveled over in boats thousands of years ago. They found that there are really 5 types of people in the world. It's very involved, but I love that topic.

Rauville

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2012, 08:27:26 am »
Back in the 1950's, my folks moved to a different house, and I like most kids did at sometime decided to dig in the backyard. I was probably down about 3 feet when I came across a cache of unbelievable items. It was obvious that I had found someones collection that had been discarded years ago, probably in an outhouse at the time.
Within a matter of a few days I had uncovered petrified fossils, including land snails about a foot long, complete geodes, artifacts including hammers, axes, points, etc.
My wise decision at the time was to consign my finds with an antique shop in a neighboring town. Not real smart of me to be selling what I now believe were Knife River Flint spear points for a few dollars.
The only thing I kept was a softball sized extremely heavy for its size red "rock", that I've been informed is a meteorite. :-[ 

greenacres

• ❤❤❤
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
If you knew then what you know now! Isn't that the saying. :'(