Author Topic: Unable to identify antique silver ring....  (Read 1482 times)

theoddfind

• View Profile
Unable to identify antique silver ring....
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:45:11 am »
I have been trying to identify this ring for two days and coming up short. I've looked through all the online sources and have not been able to identify the makers mark. It appears to be a sword running through an object; perhaps calipers or thongs. The ring has casting flaws which leads me to belive it was done with a sand casting. The ring has a rearing lion on front engraved into 9ct rose gold.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to identify antique silver ring....
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »
Its a signet ring...with the rose gold signet mounted onto the silver shank....
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,

mart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
Likely your ring was made by an independent silversmith and not by anyone that is widely known or google would have turned up something on first two pages !! But it did not !! If I were you I would check for the stamp maker that made the one he uses !! Just look for jewelers microstamps or similar in your state,, if thats where you found/bought it !!

theoddfind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:50:18 am »
I do not believe this ring even comes from my country, most likely northern European judging from a gold mark of 9ct and the lion image also can be from many northern european countries. The unit this ring came from had many antiques and I need to find age of ring before selling. Anyone know of someone or website than can be reached to find a unusual European makers mark?
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

bigwull

• lick you to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 07:13:23 am »
Hallmarks differ from country to country....
Some Common Hallmarks

British hallmarks include a fineness or purity mark, an assay office mark, a date letter, and usually a maker's mark, with the sequence of marks arbitrary. From 1798 to 1975, a crown plus the carat (abbreviated "c" or "ct" for "carat") was used for the fineness or purity mark on gold. In Scotland, a thistle was used instead of a crown. Only gold assayed at 18 and 22 ct was legal and hallmarked from 1798 to 1854. From 1854 to 1932, fineness in thousandths was added. The French have a complex system of hallmarks that uses symbols in the form of animals,
what is different about this ring...is the fact that it has a 9ct mark stamped into the silver...when it should be stamped into the gold...The Lion on the front is the relief...proud or inset into the plate...if it is proud..then the indication is that this would be for back stamping sealing wax that was applied to a letter, or possibly parchment...as a sign of authenticity...
I make no excuses,and no apologies....but i like a good Malt,